Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
blazt4me

Suse 9.2 pro and cable internet thru usb?

hi, i'm new to linux. been a windows user for years (people probly frowning right now lol). but i have decided to give linux a try. i got it all installed and everything,but my motorola surfboard cable modem is hooked up thru usb. i search the web and seen a number of people and problems with usb. just wondering if there is anyway to fix this. most the problems i seen were similiar but different lol. basicly just the modem running right to the machine no router or anything. i know it detected the modem cuz i remember seeing it when it was setting up the hardware. incase anyone needs them my system specs are

athlon 64 2800+

epox EP-8dka3i nforce 3 250 chipset

1 gig stick of geil ram.

asus radeon 9800 xt

80 gig hd

40 gig secondary

everything seems to be working just fine when i boot to suse. except for the internet it says it cant find the page?

oh i also have a motorola disk with drivers for cat 5 or usb in order for it to work. and yes in windows i had to install these files to get the modem to work. or else it would only work for a bit and stop. lol but i dont think them disk work for linux right?

thx in adv for the help. Richard

You have an interesting problem there, which reminds me of something I experienced when I first started with Linux a few months ago. I was trying to install SUSE 9.1 and also use a Motorola Surfboard modem. The main differences in our systems is that I am using the AMD XP3000+ processor and also using a Linksys router with my cable connection, as I have two computers on that network. Anyway, Like your system, everything was recognized, but what would happen is that after anywhere from 5 seconds to a couple of minutes after booting, everything would freeze up. I'd lose the Internet connection, then the computer would freeze, requiring a power off/on to get out of it. The keyboard would be completely frozen, as well. I played with the ACPI settings and all the other recommendations...then finally gave up. I installed Mandrake PowerPack 10.1 and have not had a problem since. Everything works perfectly and never have I lost the connection. I am wondering, since we both are using the Motorola Surfboard modem, if there is some common issue. I'm not proficient enough to figure it out, but just know that when I changed to Mandrake, all my problems went away.

Does Suse recognize the onboard realtek LAN card at all? Although the best solution would be to pipe the connection from the LAN card to a router to the modem via CAT 5 cables, if the LAN card is detected, then hook the LAN to the modem, then the modem to the cable, minus the usb connection, which is troublesome with Linux. I suspect that newer distro versions will eventually solve this issue. Remember, a distro's support is highly dependant on the age of the distro version vs. the newer technology of the card. Otherwise, a driver is needed to update the detection, which sometimes is difficult as they are being developed, unfortunately, slower than the technology. Also, most of this hardware is built for Windows compatability with little attention to Linux distros.

At least in my case, yes, everything was recognized just fine. I was/am running a Linksys router with 2 computers(identical motherboards) and my VoIP telephone off the router. Everything is connected ethernet....not using USB at all. Everything would be find when I first booted up...everything connected...then, in a few seconds or so...the connection would die...and the system would completely freeze up. Nothing seemed to fix it. And, that was SUSE Professional V9.1, so I don't know about 9.2 or 9.3. Switching to Mandrake PowerPack 10.1 just completely resolved the issue, making no changes. Worked right out of the box.

yeah i got a router. im just one of them gaming freaks that tweaks my windows xp to death and try to squeeze every inch out of my system i can for performance. but ill give the router a try im willing to sacrafice a bit to get it goin.thx for the help