Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
FOOOD

Advice on using IMAP email instead of POP

I'm wanting some advice using email through IMAP. I've searched on Google but would like 'real people's' advice & opinions before I switch over all my email accounts from POP.

I've been using my email through POP forever & didn't have a clue what IMAP was.

I receive/send emails on my mac, desktop PC & laptop & the way I have it set up & synched at the moment is like this:

The 3 computers are networked (laptop wirelessly)

I use Thunderbird on all 3 computers. The mail folders are stored on the mac.

And the desktop PC & laptop mail folders both point to the one on the mac, so whichever computer I use the emails are up to date.

I like the fact that I can send & receive email on any on the computers, but Thunderbird doesn't always behave itself so I'm looking other ways of setting it all up.

I thought if I used IMAP I could use whatever email app I want on any computer? (so long as the app supports IMAP).

Are there any plus points & minus points of using IMAP over POP, or POP over IMAP?

I set up a test IMAP email account the way I usually set up POP account (apart from selecting IMAP as the account type) & it seems to work fine.

Is there any thing I should do differently setting up IMAP accounts?

As I understand it the emails are stored on the server rather my computer. So if I drag an email to the IMAP trash folder it stays on the server. And if I empty the trash folder they are deleted from the server for good right?

And if I wanted to keep an email/back it up I could drag it to a mail folder located on my computer, is that right?

Or is there another way of sending/receiving emails over my computers that would be better than POP or IMAP?

IMAP is good if you have a lot of server space and need access to your mail on multiple machines.

POP is good if you have little server space and connect to the server via a slow line.

I personally find the delete scheme used by IMAP very annoying.

Thanks for your reply.

Server space isn't really a problem.

What do you mean about the IMAP delete scheme? (Sorry I know nothing about IMAP)