Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ragefire

How to choke Win2k - BP6 and QQ bios? Please help!

Ok, this may have been just my installation being corrupted, but here's the problem I ran into. I was running packaged BIOS for Abit BP6 and Win2k just fine - no snags, except on shutdown I'd have to hold in the power button since ACPI wasn't enabled. So, being lazy, I decided I didn't like having to press the power button and flashed up. Because I thought it'd be a good idea to freshen up, I reinstalled Win2k. During setup, it claimed to not be able to tell my system type!! So I flashed back down to NV, and installed win2k, then USB wouldn't work!! And yes, it had worked previously because I was watching TV on a WinTV USB just a few days ago (like I said, I'm lazy). Everyone else seems to have had a peachy time with QQ, am I the only one? I will be formatting my HDD within 2 days so if anyone thinks that may fix it, please let me know! Thanks!

One last thing - I'm doing dual cel 500's... anyone have any luck overclocking them? I'd try it but I don't have the money to replace any fried components! :-)

Rage..

USB controller dies with the NJ and LP bios's when MPS is set at 1.4 in the BIOS(which is the default setting after you flashed to NJ). So set it back to 1.1 and that will solve the USB problem.

If you're courageous enough, this is how to get QQ to work(with out clean reinstalling win2k).

1. Flash to QQ.

2. when you boot up, you'll get a bluescreen.

3. Boot with CD and Repair your win2k.

4. make sure you press F6 and use the latest 1.22 hpt366 drivers, and F5 to force ACPI multiprocessor configuration, when prompted to press f6.

5. proceed with installation, you'll get a duplication of hardware, like NIC #2. just ignore that since it'll still work.

if you wish to reformat and reinstall win2k from scratch, just wipe, and proceed from step 4.(ofcourse step 5 won't apply). If you're going to do this, i'd suggest clean installing.

Note: If you're booting with drives on your HPT366 controller, Standby and hibernation won't work. but shutting down will..(so no more holding the power button for 5 seconds).

mr_yellow

probably a dump question... where do i change MPS back to ver 1.1 in the bios? i can't seem to find it..

Quote:
Originally posted by k4:
probably a dump question... where do i change MPS back to ver 1.1 in the bios? i can't seem to find it..

no prob.. it's in um.. chipset settings.. i think.. it's inthe section where you can set the boot order of the drives..