Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MangoMadness

Earthworm Jim 1

I've been trying to get Earthworm Jim to run on my computer all day, and just can't seem to do it.

I'm running *gasp* Windows XP with SP2 installed. I've tried to run the game through DOSBox, but no luck - it immediately crashes. If I set the compatibility mode to Windows 95 within Windows XP, I hear some pops on my speakers, and then nothing - the game freezes with a black screen (seems to be in the correct gaming resolution though).

VDMSound actually got it working, but no matter how much tweaking I've tried I can't get it to run smoothly enough to be enjoyably playable - the sound always lags too far behind, and there is some frame-skipping. The only other thing I could think of is changing memory values within the VDMSound autoexec.bat/config.sys configurations, but I have no clue how to do this.

I read a post somewhere (not even sure if it was on NT Compatible) about problems with Porsche Unleashed on Windows XP, and Microsoft's Application Compatibility Toolkit was mentioned. I've installed this and messed with some of the options for Earthworm Jim, but to no avail.

I really want to play this game again...just bought it off eBay a couple of days ago; it brings back loads of memories. Someone please help frown