Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Betrayer

Looking for DSL Ideas

I have a dsl account with uswest and so far have not been able to get the adapter to install under win2k. I'm running the release version and i have the cisco 605 internal adapter installed. I've tried installing both the win9x and nt drivers for the card but neither work. An email to uswest about drivers only got me instructions on how to call tech support, both of those calls ened with me hanging up after an hour on hold. Anybody gotten this thing to work under win2k? Just looking for ideas before I make the all day commitment to stay on hold with uswest again. thanks

Want my advice? Get US West to switch to to an external DSL modem. It's a lot easier to configure, support, etc, etc, etc.

I know that isn't the immediate answer to your problem, but it's not a bod long term answer...

------------------

*gniltrohc yawa srednaw*

There is no answer yet. US West is silent except to say that it is Intel's responsibility to release drivers. Intel is EXTREMELY silent on the matter. Until then, all 605 users are just left on hold.

I feel for ya. I had a crappy internal ISA modem for a couple of years. It sucked and they never updated the software drivers since Win 3.1 . It worked fine in Win98 but they advised me against it. I'm sure they would say the same if I still had it in Win2K.

External is for sure the best. The only thing you have to worry about is the NIC but if it's a popular one like 3Com then your okay.

Anyway my advice is to pester them. If they say we don't support Win2K then say you'll find another ISP that does. I highly doubt they will tell you to get lost.

okay here's what i just found out from uswest. I know i'm not the only one whi has this problem so i'll post it. Officially they arent supporting win2k yet so they could care less about the drivers. it's a cisco modem so i guess the next step is to talk to them. i thought about upgrading the dsl service but the modem was free and their going to make me pay for an external hub so i aint doing that. s'okay i have a cable modem as well, was trying um both, no reason to keep the dsl then, thanks guys.

Betrayer - you must have spoken to one of the really stupid US West techs. I use what they told you to judge whether or not their comments are worth listening too.

The techs "in-the-know", will know that the Cisco 605 was sold to Intel, and that it is Intel that is writing (or will have to write) the 605/2100 driver. If they tell you that you have to call Cisco, just hang up on them - I had one of "those guys" tell me that Microsoft had to write the driver.

It may very well turn out that the 605/2100 won't be supported under W2K, but don't base your decision on what that tech told you.