Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ah.heng

folder can't open in FC3

i have a particular folder on a vfat partition that just won't open. don't really have any other info to provide. it opens fine in windows though.

doesn't contain anything except mp3s.

Do you have ther folder set up in Windows with any special permissions, say to allow only the administrator to access the folder?

Exactly how are you trying to access the folder? via the command line, or from the file manager? As superuser, or user?

nope, it's just a normal folder, no permissions or anything.

i have set that particular partition to be a shared drive where all users are allowed to make changes.

it's not just 1 particular folder, but a whole bout of them within 1 folder.

i'm accessing the folder as the admin, i guess it's the file manager, either that or explorer. not sure the name.

here's a screenshot.

http://www.project-h.per.sg/img/misc/Screenshot-1.jpg

none of the folders in the 'jap' folder can be opened, though the other folders elsewhere work fine.

yo ah.heng

If it's a vfat drive then there can't be too much folder permissions involved unless you have specified those explicetly in "/etc/fstab" (umask setting e.g.). A possible reasons could be that the "Explorer"-app you are using (Konquerer or the GNOME-counterpart) choke upon the contents of the folders.

In other words: If the folders contain media-files (mp3s, vids etc.) the "Explorer"-app might want to parse and "offer" this media content. An easy way to check if the error comes from the folder itself or the files therein is to browse it on the shell (command: "user@machine # ls /mnt/my_weird_folder"). If the folder is mounted and the "ls"-command doesn't yield anything, then the mount-type or -parameters might be wrong. In this case check the entries in "/etc/fstab" (see above: "umask" settings etc.).

If files are being listed, then the chances are good that the media-content of the files cause a halt within your graphical filemanager. Whatever it is: keep us updated

good luck

i know it's a little late for a reply, sorry :P

had to get a new HDD.

i just got FC3 freshly installed again.

the setup's exactly the same as the previous hdd.

you're probably right about the graphical filemanagers, the contents show up on when browsing through the shell.

weird things just happened. i managed to open the folders by double clicking on them, then pressing the up arrow of the filemanager, and the contents showed.

but after a few times of doing this, the entire thing crashed, a window popped up saying nautilus crashed. i can reopen the filemanager, and all the icons on my desktop disappeared too.

can log out either.

i think i found the problem.

the folders that can't be opened have files with japanese characters in their names.

i downloaded the true type fonts but it still wouldn't load either.