Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AlbertoCastillo2001

"Could not write value" when starting some games

Hi, first thank you for paying attention to my problem..

I have an AMD Athlon XP 2200 with 768 RAM and a GeForce 4 MX and lately.. since July or so, since I installed DirectX9C, I get an error in some games like:

Lord of the Rings, Zsnes emulator, Worms3D, UT2004, Lineage II which says "Could not write value."

When I start one of these games, a window pops and says "Could not write value", and in games like Worms 3D it pops over and over.. until having 63 or more window messages like that.

I reformatted many times and I have no idea, I have Windows XP Home Edition activated, with SP2 and its updates, and still appears, I find this something weird and annoying...

I formatted like 3 or 4 times and it still appears.

I'm using the latest drivers of my computer.

Thank you.

Is your account administrator?

You probably need sufficient privileges to run the games.

Make sure that the account of your has administrative rights on the machine.

Click Start->Run and execute, without quotes: "control userpasswords2"

OK.

Doubleclick your account. Then goto second tab "group" or something like that. Select "Other" and select "Administrators" from the list.

Have you tried the DirectX Diagnostic Tool?

Start->Run: dxdiag.exe

See if it reports any errors.

Then goto to display tab and click all "Enable" buttons, if there is any. Then try to test DirectDraw & Direct3D. If those fail, try reinstalling DirectX & display drivers.

And one thing you can try: start registry editor, start->run: regedit.exe

Then right-click on every HKEY_* key, e.g. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, and select "Permissions" or whatever it is called in your XP, its below Export item.

Make sure that Administrators and SYSTEM have write&read rights on every root key.

I tested everything, in DxDiag all are enabled and there are no errors (the computer is fresh installed)

And the registry is right too, except in HKey_Current_Config rights I have some weird account called: Unknown account (S-1-5-32-547) and is set on "read"

Thanks.

I have tried to look on Internet and I only find stuff related about this error when installing stuff, like InstallShield, but not my kind of error, I really wonder if this is normal, those games are fully compatible with SP2 and DX9C, I can't understand this, it even happens after formatting computer and installing SP2 :S

What set of Nvidia drivers are you using? Your card is older and I have found that going back to an earlier version of Nvidia drivers sometimes corrects the difficulty.

71.84, yes, I know that, but my problem doesn't come about that, in fact, I was able to fix it today, I did a reformat, then installed drivers one by one and as I was installing one, I was checking one of the games which gave problems, and bingo, seems the problem came from a Super Nintendo game pad I have connected to my computer, and I'm using a driver which is not certified by Microsoft, the driver is called PSX Pad and it allows to use Super Nintendo, PSX and other pads into your computer.

So I installed it and it gave the error on the startup of a game, when I uninstalled it, the error didn't pop-up anymore.

This was hard hehe.

Thank you all. smile