Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sinluan

CD-ROM Woes

Not sure what brought this on but of a sudden I cannot get the device drivers loaded for my cd burner & my dvd player. My OS is Win2K and each time the system boots up the two devices are found but when I attempt to load the drivers I consistently get a Device installer error message that reads:

Windows could not load the installer for CDROM. Contact your hardware vendor for assistance.

The only thing I can find at the ASUS website are firmware updates but they of course are not the answer to my problem. How do I go about solving this minor, niggling little thorn in my heel?

1) Boot into Safe Mode and uninstall all of the entries for CDROM/DVD drives. Reboot.

If does not help, then move to 2.

2) Again in Safe Mode uninstall the Primary IDE Controller & Secondary IDE Controller. Reboot.

Followibg your advice I booted into SAFE mode and attempted to uninstall my cd burner & dvd player but without success. I kept getting the same message I described in posting the problem. At that point I went to plan B and was successful uninstalling the primary IDE Controller but it was strictly no-go on the secondary. When I booted back into windows the system attempted to reinstall the primary IDE Controller and I thought it had done so but after a restart it detected the primary IDE Controller as uninstalled and went through the install routine again. In essence, I'm in the same position as I first described except that now I cannot seem to reinstall my Primary IDE Controller. What now?