Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
r22pl

Cant find a way to install Mandrake 10.1

I downloaded the 3CD ISO images for Mandrake v10.1 off one of the ftp mirrors on the official website, and then I burned all 3 images to CD's. I've tried to boot from the CD but I get an error saying something like it's not a bootable disc. When I put the CD in the computer and let it from autorun, it comes to the welcome screen. But the whole left side wont do anything when I try to click on any of them (Install, Install w/ floppy, and Join the Mandrakelinux Community). The rest of them work fine. But this is a problem because I can't install Mandrake.

-Make sure you have burned all of your 3CDs correctly(tell your CD burner application that you are burning ISO images, and not as data format and don't use re-writable cds)

-Once you done burning the images, pop in the CD1 into your cd-rom and reboot computer (it shoould bring up a boot loading screen, so you can start your installation)

-If CD1 is not recognized at boot, makes sure your bios settins say to boot up from cd-rom.

If this doen't work, all I can suggest is to try out the LiveCDs at htttp://www.distrowatch.com and try out Mepis, knoppix, etc. which come in just one LiveCD (a LiveCD has basically has an OS in a CD and they won't touch your current data in your computer, and you can install the OS to your HD if you want to)

Good luck.

Thanks! It is a work in progress, so suggestions are welcome. I thought that it was helpful to get it out to use, but corrections may be needed as we go on.

Danleff, how about a section for burning DVD ISOs. I think you can download the mandrake's ISO dvd version and burn them as well, right. Just as suggestion.

Hehe..., Mandrake is a little picky about this. they offer high speed access to the image, IF you are a member. One has to hunt for a valid image that actually shows the correct size that the image should be. My experience is a little narrow on DVD, but I guess there is a file limitation size on Windows (2 gig) for downloads, so linux is the answer. If you have a source for Mandrake, say, the new beta, let me know and I will give it a go!