Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
m_phoenix83

Can't install...Won't Install!!!

Hey all. Hope you all had a good weekend! I wish i could say the same! Here's my little problem!

My PC is playing stupid with me a lot lately, so i Fdisk'd it and re-formatted my hard drive, and put on Win 98 Second Edition onto it (its an old pc!), via the flat-insatllation technique, with dos.

Installed fine, no problems and i have WIN 98 SE on my PC now.

The problem is, is that when I try to install a game, (from CD), the instllation stops (roughly at 35%) and restarts my PC automatically. This happens, no matter what i want to install from CD, and i have to open up the installation program again, and then, during the installation, it then restarts my PC again (this time at about 50%).

It's so confusing, and i can't undertstand why this is happening!?

I have been on Microsoft Online Help, and other various sites, and no one seems to know why! I was told take off my DMA setting on the CD rom, but it's already off!

I have a pretty good system, for one thats old, and I've never had this problem before. I'm running of an AMD K6/2 500mHz, have updated my graphics, sound and CD Drive all within the past 12 months. I dont even have a modem in the PC so i know it can't be a virus, trojan, etc...

I know the processor is old and slow, but it's ok for what i need, and I have had all the stuff that i want on it now, running on it before, without problems!

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Phoenix.

Quote:

Make Sure You Are Using Protected Mode Drivers
If you have Windows 95 or Windows 98, ensure that you are using protected mode (32-bit) drivers for your CD-ROM or DVD drive. To do this, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
2. Double-click System.
3. On the Performance tab, confirm that the File System entry is 32-bit. If the File System entry is Some drives are using MS-DOS compatibility you are using MS-DOS disc drivers (real mode or 16-bit drivers). If this is the case, you may not be able to read certain files on the CD-ROM as some programs only work correctly with protected-mode drivers. To obtain protected-mode drivers for CD or DVD drives, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
151634 Protected-Mode CD-ROM Drive Support in Windows
4. Click OK, and then close Control Panel.
If the issue continues to occur, proceed to the next method.

Enable/Disable UDF Support
If you are using Windows 98 or Windows Me, change the UDF setting. To do this, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, click Run, type msconfig in the Open box, and then click OK.
2. Click Advanced.
3. Click the Disable UDF File System option, and then click OK.
4. When you are prompted to restart your computer, click OK, and then click Yes.
When your computer restarts, UDF support has changed. If this makes no difference, change the setting back.

Reduce Drive Caching
To reduce CD-ROM or DVD drive caching, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
2. Double-click System.
3. On the Performance tab, click File System.
4. On the CD-ROM or DVD tab, move the Supplemental Cache Size slider to the Small position.
5. In the Optimize Access Pattern For box, click NoRead-Ahead.
6. Click OK, and then click Close.
7. When you are prompted to restart your computer, click Yes.

Check if your config.sys and autoexec.bat loads cd-rom drivers and REM those lines.
Example:
Quote:

config.sys:
DEVICE=C:\CDROM\IDE-CD.SYS /D:NCI000
to:
REM DEVICE=C:\CDROM\IDE-CD.SYS /D:NCI000
autoexec.bat:
C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /D:NCI000 /V
to:
REM C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /D:NCI000 /V

Ensure you have the following lines at the beginning of your config.sys file:
Quote: