Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
froggy1

P4 fan, quiet but cools well????

Well I just did one more stunt to improve the cooling of my system by modding the case a bit. My PC case actually has provision for up to 4 chassis fans (one is the already mentioned side panel mount [intake], another is at the bottom of the front bezel [intake], and the other two are at the back of the case just beneath the Power Supply and alongside the rear I/O ports [exhaust]), all in use. Turns out each of the two fan mounts on the rear had a series of slats covering them (kinda like blinds partially closed) restricting airflow coming out of the case and thus reducing the cooling effectiveness. What I did was take a pair of wire cutters and just ripped all those slats off, leaving a big hole on each those fan mounts almost big enough to see the whole fan, but then to protect the fans from cutting someone's fingers, I put a standard circular fan grille on each (the kind that gets screwed on to the chassis fans themselves). Now my PC cools even better - lowest temperature my Prescott CPU achieved thus far is 40C.