Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
stormonts

Cannot clone IDE drive to SATA drive in same system

We have a number on new PCs that are using the Intel D865GBF motherboard. These PCs currently have installed a Seagate ST340014A (40GB) hard drive. (all drivers and devices are detected) We want to install Seagate ST380817AS (80GB)drives in them. We first tried using Ghost 8.0 to perform the cloning procedure. The cloning worked perfectly fine (all drives were detected fine and the cloning worked great). However, when we try and boot the PC from the SATA drive, the initial Windows 2000 startup screen appears (white with the blue bar) and then freezes at about 50%. If you try to boot in safe mode, it only makes it to agp440.sys before freezing.

We then tried putting both the IDE drive and the SATA drive in a different PC and used Ghost 9.0 to perform the operation. Again, the clone worked fine, but when you place the SATA drive back in the original PC and try and boot from it, the PC freezes in the same place.

We then also tried Acronis True Image 8.0 and got the same result (clone works fine, but Windows freezes).

Since the cloning works, I guess it must not be a Ghost problem, so my question is, what steps are people who clone from an IDE to a SATA drive in the same system taking? Since it's on the same motherboard, it can't be some sort of HAL issue, right?

Steve

Did you verify that you have the controller ports set for Enhanced mode rather then Auto mode ?!?

This is in the system BIOS, I think the Advanced BIOS Settings area.

The only other thing would be to make sure *all* device drivers are current/latest versions installed on the IDE drive, since that is working.

I personally use Drive Image Pro and have done this multiple times both here at work and at home with no problems, so I know this should work smile

I have to assume that you are disconnecting the IDE/ATA hard drive once you've done the cloning as having more then one active partition with OS's installed can be problmatic at best wink

Controller ports are set to Enhanced.

The computer has the Intel INF version 6.3.0.1008 installed and all devices are correctly identified in Device Manager.

After we perform the clone, the PC is shut off and the IDE drive is removed.

In terms of the SATA drivers being loaded, I assume they are since each device is identified correctly and Device Manager reports 2 x Primary IDE and 2 x Secondary IDE connections.

Reload the SATA drivers just to make sure - if Device Manager is only showing the IDE connectors, it looks as though it hasn't recognised the SATA connectors.

It sounds like the drivers are your problem - they haven't been installed, and when Windows comes to loading the drivers, it doesn't know about SATA, and all of a sudden, the drive it was loading from has disappeared - hence the reason why it just stops there.

Load the SATA drivers onto the IDE version of Windows, then do the clone - and it should work OK.

Hope this helps

Rgds

AndyF

Originally posted by stormonts:

Quote:
Controller ports are set to Enhanced.

The computer has the Intel INF version 6.3.0.1008 installed and all devices are correctly identified in Device Manager.

After we perform the clone, the PC is shut off and the IDE drive is removed.

In terms of the SATA drivers being loaded, I assume they are since each device is identified correctly and Device Manager reports 2 x Primary IDE and 2 x Secondary IDE connections.

Not quite, in Enhanced mode, there should be (3)Three channels listed, the Primary/Secondary IDE ports and the third being the pair of SATA ports wink

Even on Intel boards this should be the case, it works this way on all of the systems I've ever built.

Are you sure there isn't a third party SATA controller on that motherboard ?!?

Figured it out:

As I mentioned, I have a number of PCs with the Intel D865GBF motherboard in them. All PCs have Windows 2000 SP4 installed on them and all have the Intel INF 6.3.0.1008. I was able to get the cloning process to work on 2 of the PCs.

When we move a drive to a new system, we follow the steps listed here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q314082

I found one of the PCs on which I was able to successfully clone from the IDE drive to the SATA drive and looked at the versions of the files listed in the article above. They were:

atapi.sys 5.0.2195.6699

intelide.sys 5.0.2195.6666

pciide.sys 5.0.2195.6655

pciidex.sys 5.0.2195.6672

The versions on the PCs that weren't cloning were older versions, even though the same service pack was installed and the same version of the chipset INF. If I copied those 4 files to one of the PCs that wasn't cloning and then tried to complete the clone again, it worked!

So know I'm trying to figure out what installed the update version of those files on the PC that worked. One of the recommended Windows 2000 updates?

Steve

Awhile back when I was ghosting between chipsets I would revert whatever IDE controller I was using to the Windows generic driver. I think it was "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller".

I don't remember what the actual driver files were but looking at the pciide.sys files in 2K SP4 (which match the version you listed above), it looks like those are the generic IDE drivers and perhaps for some reason when those machines were upgraded with a new service pack they didn't get upgraded...which is why you had to add them manually.

we have the same problem stormonts. I have successfully cloned my GX280 desktop to IDE HDD but when I load the image to other PC, it freezes. I already tried all the switches from Symantec but it doesn't work. I think there is a conflict from SATA and IDE. I already checked all the necessary settings on my BIOS but again it doesn't help.

Not to sound like an old fart, but i think your cloning procedure worked fine.

The problem your having is actually with windows.

I beleive that u havent installed the correct SATA driver for the motherboard, thus when it goes to read off the HDD it crashes thus you get the blue screen of death.

I could be wrong, but i have seen many instances like this.

thx

SL

I recently did such a move. Its probably crashing because its pointing to the IDE drivers. assuming that all the pcs have the same data, what you have to do is this:

take one of the machines with SATA and image it.

Next, put in the installtion cd and load up the SATA drivers at the beginning.

once they load up, continue to repair the machine. choose the second repair selection as the first one won't do what you need it to do. to get there, just go about as if you are installing windows. accept the terms and then you should get a repair selection.

repair the pc and make sure that it works.

finally, make an image of the computer and then just blast it onto the other computers. that should fix the problem. I did this with ghost 7.5 instead of 9.

if each pc has different data, then you'll have to repair each one.

i had the same problem !!!!

After 3 days i found the problem.

It is in the registry.

Go to regedit , hkey_local_machine , system , mounteddevices .

In there there are the hard disk of your system.

The boot freezes because it search for the hard disk that you had before the ghost. If you delete the devices(hard disk) and boot again it search for new hard drives and boot normaly.

Usually it works but try to have a backup of the hard disk for good or bad!!!

If you have any problem send me a mail (support@ath.forthnet.gr)