Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
petegavin

USB flash drives?????????

Hi,

My wife has a couple of usb "flash drives" one is 16MB and the other 256MB. They both used to work fine under linux (think i was using mandrake 10 then?) bur after using some "driver" software for them in windows XP they are no longer appearing in linux????? It seems that they have been formatted in some way by the "drivers" and now linux cant access them? Anyone else had/cured this problem?

On a related topic I recently got the new Epson R300 printer which is great, it has a built in data card reader so you can print directly from you cameras flash card (various types, 6 i think) but it also allows you to read/write to these cards too! I was thinking about a multi format card reader for my PC but wondered about linux compatibility problems, this "printer" does the job and works fine, plug in a memory card and it appears as if by magic!

Can you be specific by "driver software" or do you mean a formatting utility?

What version and distro of Linux are you using now?

Some, like Mandrake, will automatically place an icon on the desktop when the card is plugged in. Some do not, but should be able to mount the card. they just don't do it automatically.

In terms of the printer, if you only have one card type, and the card reader on the printer is working fine, there is no use for a multi card format reader, unless you plan on using more types of flash cards (say in different cameras that use another type of card). I can say that I have a multi card reader and it works fine in Linux.