Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Shadow_89

MS-DosSystem

Hi ppl.

i have an problem.

when i start a MS-Dos file/program a pop-up come up and tells the that C:\Windows\system32\autoexec.nt. isn´t proper to run Dos- and Microsoft Windows Program.

What schould i do?! ;(

Copy the 'autoexec.nt' and 'config.nt' files from 'c:\windows\repair' to 'c:\windows\system32'.

I've yet to see that problem with Avast! itself. I've seen the problem with a few other programs, though.

I wonder if the new build of Avast still has that problem. Avast! 4.6 (March 2005) is the latest and greatest version. I'm running it now on this computer.

Also, that link from the avast forum has posts from August 2004(if I read it correctly).

Originally posted by jaylittle:

Quote:

* Where autoexec.nt OR config.nt had "SET BLASTER" type statements present in it!

(The type Creative Labs Soundblaster cards make to DOS or Win9x 16-bit real-mode operations OR for environmental values settings for IRQ &/or DMA assignments for driver parameterization in CONFIG.SYS &/or AUTOEXEC.BAT)

The SET BLASTER statement is a standard part of autoexec.nt on Windows XP. It controls the settings for XPs pathetic soundblaster emulation that it provides to old DOS programs that you run through cmd.exe. Commenting out the line effectively disables the emulation.

Again this is not a bug but in fact a feature of XP. The error that user was experiencing was likely caused by something else. More than likely a malformated EMM statement within either the autoexec.nt or config.nt was the cause of the problem as that seems to be cause 99% of the time I've seen this issue.