Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
FlyingPenguin

Low fps with Voodoo2 under Win2K

Anyone having this problem with V2 under Win2K? I seem to be framerate capped at 40fps. It's a P2-300 w/12Mb V2. Under NT 4 or Win98 on the same system I can easily get 70-75 fps in Q2 using the Brian Hook standard timedemo w/Vsync disabled.

Nothing I can do will increase fps in Win2K over 40 fps - even lowering res to 512x384 and turning down all eye candy.

Oh, and just for grins, I temporarily installed a second card for SLI and I still get 40 fps - so it's definately an artificial fps cap.

Now I've seen this before in NT 4 if you mix driver file versions. I've taken the precaution though of manually deleting all V2 driver files (I'm an old hand at this - I definately purged them all) and deleted the driver entries and .inf files. I've tried 2/1/99 NT drivers with the hacked inf file from this site, and I've tried several others. They all do it.

I'm stumped. Right now I'm forced to use a TNT1 (you know something's wrong when I can get 60 fps out of a TNT1 and only 40 out of a V2).

The card's good - I have NT 4 in a seperate partition on this system and I get 72 fps in there. I've also swapped the card for another for good measure.

This Win2K installation was upgraded from Win98 - and no, a clean install is out of the question. This is a test bed system, and the whole point is I'm trying to assess Win2K's upgrade abilities. Except for this one problem Win2K is running flawlessly. It's really puzzling.

Any suggestions appreciated...

------------------

---

The Flying Penguin smilehttp://voodooextreme.com/flypenguin

[This message has been edited by FlyingPenguin (edited 20 February 2000).]

[This message has been edited by FlyingPenguin (edited 20 February 2000).]

I use a V2 SLI under UT @ 1024*768 and get 50-60fps.

How about some config details?

------------------

SuperMicro P6DBS (dual UW-SCSI) BIOS 2.2, 2*Celery 300a @ 450Mhz, 384MB PC100 RAM

SCSI-A=4.3Gb+9Gb, SCSI-B=Tosh32x CD-ROM, Yamaha4416 CD-RW, Iomega ZIP100, IDE1=4.3Gb

IBM EtherJet 10/100 NIC PCI + Nortel ADSL "modem"

Matrox G400 DH 32Mb AGP + Quantum3D Voodoo2 SLI PCI (CL TNT1 AGP on a shelf)

SoundBlaster Live PCI (not Value)

Win2K build 2195 Retail (not 120-day eval)

Hi FlyingPenguin long time no see.

That the one downside win useing a Voodoo1, 2 under Windows2000 useing NT4 Brew drivers.

For now this only way Voodoo1, 2 will work under in tell 3dfx give more compatible drivers.

Everybody want D3D well if look at this http://superhighspeed.dhs.org/V2+D3D.htm

I have no idea if Glide & OpenGL will be next set of drivers.

We should see non set WHQL certified drivers any day now.

But this is MultiMonitor Configuration

that mean Two Monitor.

Anthony Toste

SHS or SuperHighSpeed