Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
STiX

network printer

ok i have two comps (one desktop and one laptop connected with a router) my desktop is connected to a printer and i was wondering how to set up a network were i can just hit print on my laptop and it prints out of the printer connected to my desktop? is this possible?

ur help is apreciated

STiX

(could not log on this site for like 2 weeks so i am full of questions lol)

Be sure "File and printer sharing" is enabled on the PC with the printer. Allow access through WinXP firewall and make sure you are using identical (except IP addresses) network settings. You can do it without that but it's harder. Then share the printer on the PC.

On the laptop go to the run line and type \\pc (or whatever the name is) and there should be a printer. Double click that to install drivers and then print. If it is a complex HP printer you may need to install drivers first. There are other methods here (I think APK has a good one). You could also get a router with a USB or parallel print server built in and then the PC doesn't need to be switched on.

wow thanks guys for the quick respnses i will try this 2morrow because i am goin to go to bed but i will get bak to u guys and thanx again for such a quick reply

STiX

ya nice meeting u and i am goin to try this today i did not have time to do it yesterday but do u have a AIM sceen name that i can talk to u further if u do just im me my screen name is l STiX l (l=lower case L)

Thanx again

STiX