Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Justbill

Printer NIGHTMARE!

Yes guys, I'm still having trouble getting my printer to print. I am back to FC3 as my distro. I used the custom install option and installed everything. I have gone to http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Lexmark_Printers

to try to use that information to get the printer working, and that hasn't worked. When I type in /etc/fstab it comes back with "permission denied" (in su mode). I can type in umount mnt/etc/fstab and it comes back "is not mounted (according to mtab)". What is mtab? I do have the driver package downloaded. I attempted to follow the directions under "Attempting to print through the z600 driver", and everything went well until I got to rpm2targz *.rpm , then it came back "command not found. So what do I try next? Any thoughts

Thanks in Advance

Justbill

I was in as su. At one point in the proccess you enter the following: "su -p # change to superuser, preserve dir and environmental variables". after that I had to enter the root password to continue.

Justbill

Hey JB,

fstab is a file, not a command. Therefore, you could say:

cat /etc/fstab

and look at the file system table. Try command: man fstab

for an explaination of contents.

Next /mnt is a mount point. So, when you want to refer to a device or mountpoint for the mount / unmount operations, you must fully specify the path beginning with the root or "/", so your command would be:

umount /mnt/etc/fstab

BUT, this makes no sense, fstab is a file - remember. When in doubt, just type:

mount

and you will get a list of mounted filesystems. You can only unmount what is mounted. You will note there is not a mount point for /mnt/etc/fstab.

I have forgotten which model Lexmark you have. Is it USB? BTW, Lexmark was aquired by IBM (If I recall correctly). Lexmark did try often to emulate the majors. Before you attempt to install drivers (can be really frustrating), have you tried to print by specifying other manufacturers (IBM) first?

HTH

Bill

Hi Bill! How are you?

I have a Lexmark z515 printer, the how to page I went to said it was a confirmed working model with Linux.

I entered cat /etc/fstab and saw the file sytem. It didn't look like my usb filesystem was mounted. The directions at

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Lexmark_Printers

said to add this to /etc/fstab

usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=14,devmode=0660 0 0

exactly how do I go about this, and, why, if the usbfs is not there, does FC3 occaisionally see that the printer is there, and want to configure (but then wont print)?

My printer is USB, and no I have not tried any other driver's.

Have a Great Day

Justbill

Hi back,

The USB file system won't show in /etc/fstab, type the command:

mount

with no arguements as shown. You should see usbfs in there, something like:

usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)

This would indicate that usb support is loaded for file systems. I will have to check how the z515 driver is supposed to work. I will do that, as soon as I get the chance.

In the mean time, try using other drivers for the printer. I see a few printers in the "Z" line for Lexmark, don't know which are USB, but I would start there.

Bill

Bill,

I typed in "mount" and found exactly what you said I would find,

usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)

Haven't had any luck yet with other drivers, but haven't had a lot of time to mess with it yet.

Justbill

Bill (or anyone)

I have been trying to get my printer going, and thought it may help if I posted some of the things it is telling me while its not working. So here they are:

I've been using the printer configuration tool, When I get to Queue Type, It says "locally connected", I leave that alone. And then beneath that it has some entries, they say:

/dev/lp0

/dev/usb/lp0 Lexmark 510 Series

ptal

Then I select Lexmark in the drop down box, and then a driver, I select print a test page and get this error:

lpr: error-unable to print file: client-error-not-found

Now I have a couple of thoughts or questions on this. First would be, what is "ptal" ?

Second, at one point I typed in "cd /dev" and then "ls" (while I was in terminal) and of course it listed out a whole bunch of stuff, but I was looking for "lp0", when I found it this it what it said:

fd0h1660 lp0 parport3 tap6 tty49 ttyS36 vcs1

and then I found printer under:

fd0h410 lp3 printer tap9 tty51 ttyS39 vcs4

So what I noticed right away was that my printer was "lp3"in this directory, when I try to enter it as lp3 in the printer configuration tool I get:

error /dev/usb/lp3 Lexmark 510 Series' does not exist, or is not writable , and I get a message in the terminal that says

No match for usb device

mfr "Lexmark"

model 510 Series

desc Lexmark 510 Series

cmdset CPDNPA001

Please report this message in Bugzilla

https://bugzill.redhat.com/bugzilla

choose 'foomatic' as the component

This is all the information I've been able to come up with so far. Any thoughts.................HELP :-)

Thanks

Justbill