Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Distar

poll: athlon / win2k / geforce / 3.78 / 3.66 ?

hi athlon users !

we dont seem to be able to narrow down the problems on athlon/geforce desktop lockups so lets start a poll and see if there are athlon users that can run 3.78 without lockups ..

please reply: (example and my config)

-------------------------------------

_athlon_: 500

_board_: gigabyte 7ix

_nvidia_card_: creative geforce sdr

_driver_results_:

3.66 beta driver runs stable in d3d, opengl and on desktop - i use powerstrip to force 1x agp

3.78 (and all other betas above 3.66) produce random lockups on desktop - no matter if powerstrip 1x agp force and without powerstrip at all

and yes i did a complete old driver remove (deleting oem*.inf,nv* files)

--------------------------------------

please reply even if it works perfectly for you with 3.78 or everything else!

thanks

Well, I don't have a GeForce video card, but I do have a TNT2 card by Diamond. Whenever I use the drivers later than 3.65 (I don't have 3.66), I get random lockups that require a hard reboot. Here are my specs:

AMD Athlon 500@700

196MB PC100 RAM

Asus K7M MB

Diamond TNT2

Adaptec 2940UW Pro SCSI Card

Creative SB Live Value

Quantum 13G 7200 UDMA66 Drive

All the hardware and drivers for Win9X work just fine. Just these Nvidia drivers.

-Q

Hi,

I too get these horrible lockups with my Athlon system, and latest drivers.

Athlon 550 (week 29) @ 700MHz

Microstar 6167

Creative TNT2 Ultra

3.78 plays all games fine, but at random intervals the computer totally locks up. I can be playing a game, or browsing the internet - no difference - locks up, and it's certainly not heat or the overclocking. I even pulled the Freespeed Pro off my Athlon and it still crashes with the 'official' Nvidia drivers.

Brendan

Same here - I have an Athlon 700 machine with the DDR GeFoce and version 3.78 drivers - I dont get random lock ups as much as I used to (except for today when it went quite insane at one point) but they're still sooooooooooo annoying frown - never seems to happen in games, just on desktop, can be doing anything - surfing, IRC - anything frown

Exorcist

My Athlon is a 550@650 1.8volts on a K7pro and 256Megs Crucial ram in Banks 1&3, and a 3D Prophet SDR card.

I noticed that when running 64megs of ram the computer was absolutely stable.

I had severe problems with the 3.75 drivers then I switched to the 3.78 drivers the minute they were released and the problem was less prominate.

So anyway after testing with 64 and >64 I noticed desktop freezes consistantly and quickly with 128megs in any configuration.

64 megs the system was rock stable.

I changed the boot to os/2>64 to yes in bios and raised the core voltage from 1.75 to 1.8.

So far it locked up twice within 10 mins then was stable for the last 15 hours. Games and everything else. Gosh Im tired.

I also notcied the crashes occured when the desktop had absolutly nothing happening on it or I was in a control panel or properties page. If I was playing an opengl game the machine wouldn't crash until I got out of it.

Wierd eh? But I have been stable since last night with no hiccups. I hope the next release of drivers are better.

Here's my system specs:

Athlon 550@650 1.8 volts

K7Pro -->Can't wait to get the new 133board.

256Megs of Crucial PC133 ->Cas2 @ 100MHZ FSB

Windows 2K Professional

3D Prophet Geforce SDR 135core / 190mem

SB Live

Cambridge Soundworks DT2500 (put in my own sub) :-)

13.6 MAxtor UDMA66/ 7200rpm/ 2MB Cache

50x generic CD-rom

4x2x8 Mitsumi Burner

NEC Zip 100 Atapi

Intel Pro100+ Nic

416/416 SDSL 3com 1meg modem

Sony 20" running Desktop at 1280x1024x32@75Hz

Antec 303x blah blah blah Tower

..Oh and an Athlon sticker proudly displayed on the case. smile