Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cvc505

New to windows 2003 server need ddns help

We are migrating our system from a novell network to a windows 2003 system. I am installing a new dell server as my domain controller. Everything seems to be working properly but the ddns/dhcp exchange. As I understand the way this system works, any computer on the network that request an IP address from the dhcp server should be automatically registered in the dns service. However, only the four or five computers that I have added to the domain are currently showing up in the dns list.

I know this is rather sketchy information but if you ask I will try to tell you more. Anybody that can help would be greatly appreciated.I am pretty sure I have both the dns and the dhcp set up correctly, and for now I have set the dns registration to accept any dhcp record secure or non-secure.

Any body have a suggestion?

Thanks

CVC505

Basically, you setup DNS to accept dynamic updates, and you probably have it setup to do secure only (this is assuming that you configured it to accept dynamic updates to begin with). I am really tired right now and can't go into detail, but you *might* try using "secure and unsecure" updates and see what happens. Now, DHCP *should* be acting on the client's behalf when it isn't AD aware and registering the records, but there could be an issue elsewhere.

Thanks I did check the secured and unsecured several time I have both the dns and the dhcp paramter set to secure and unsecure. but not sure what else to check.

Open the DHCP management console and right click the server.

Go to the DNS tab and one of the options says "Dynamically update DNS A and PTR records for DHCP clients that do not request updates (for example, clients running Windows NT 4.0)"

I'm not sure if you'll need to restart the DHCP service for this to take effect or not however but I'd likely advise you do for good measure.

That's one possibility. Please tell us:

What OS the clients are using?

Are they joined to the Win2k3 domain?

Are the clients primary DNS server set to the IP address of your Win2k3 server?

Oh, and lastly, are the DHCP and DNS services both (either) hosted on the Win2k3 server or elsewhere?

Go to the DNS tab and one of the options says "Dynamically update DNS A and PTR records for DHCP clients that do not request updates (for example, clients running Windows NT 4.0)" <<<< This I have done

That's one possibility. Please tell us:

What OS the clients are using? <<>> Combination of windows 2K and windows XP

Are they joined to the Win2k3 domain? <<>> No, Only a couple of the test machines and they show uo in the dns listing.

Are the clients primary DNS server set to the IP address of your Win2k3 server? <<<>>> Yes, the DHCP server is taking care of that.

Oh, and lastly, are the DHCP and DNS services both (either) hosted on the Win2k3 server or elsewhere? <<<>>> Both are hosted on the Domain controller which is windows 20003 server.

Thanks for your help.