Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Apoptosis

How do you formate c: with NTFS 5?

Every time I want to wipe my drive clean of a previous win2k installation I do the following:

1. Boot with my good ole win98 boot disk.

2. fdisk to remove NTFS partion, and create

new dos partion.

3. restart and format c: (fat32)

4. install win2k, and specify convertion to

NTFS

Now I know this can't be the best way. I would like to put in a Win2k boot disk and format c: (NTFS), right off the bat. Just forget about the whole fat32, win98 boot disk part. Is there a way to do this? Or maybe someone has a better (faster) way?

Thanks for the help,

Apoptosis

Get a Partition Magic 5 boot disk and delete/create and NTFS partition? It does a speedy format.

------------------

Shrink

92% of the things we worry about don't happen - but the other 8% DO!

personally, i recommend using at least 2 partitions. one for the system files and the others for programs and data. and for system files i would use regular fat instead of ntfs simply because it's easier to fix any problem you have in case your w2k really messes up. worst comes worst.. just reformat your system partition with ANY dos bootable disk and start over again, without having to worry about your data. it's also easier to boot off a dos disk and still be able to go in and fix something in your system in case the need arises.

just my 2cents

another way is to just put in the win2k cd, boot off of it, and in setup install win2k, when you come up to the harddrive screen, to ask if you want to format for fat32, ntfs, conver to ntfs, ...

just select format ntfs, it will format, then start installing, its less steps that way. and it works fine.

And if your system is not cd-bootable (if its new it should be) make some install disks from nt.. Check the readme. NT used to come with them.. Now it doesnt