Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
axoboy

Mandrake 9.0 install problems on a VIA C3 chipset

Hello,

I am new to this forum, but it looks helpfull! I am having problems loading ML 9.0 onto my new VIA C3 gigapro system. I found some work-arounds at the Mandrake site, but I am looking for a solution to a install problem. Apparently ML 9.0 detects the VIA chip as a i686 ship, when it is in fact more like a i586 chip. So you need to load the 2.2.x kernel. No Problem there. But as soon as I get the Boot Loader install section it freezes. It gives me the option to install LiLO and GRub ( i chose LiLo graphical), but during the installation it freezes. any ideas why this is happening?

thnx,

Axo

Quote:
Hello,

I am new to this forum, but it looks helpfull! I am having problems loading ML 9.0 onto my new VIA C3 gigapro system. I found some work-arounds at the Mandrake site, but I am looking for a solution to a install problem. Apparently ML 9.0 detects the VIA chip as a i686 ship, when it is in fact more like a i586 chip. So you need to load the 2.2.x kernel. No Problem there. But as soon as I get the Boot Loader install section it freezes. It gives me the option to install LiLO and GRub ( i chose LiLo graphical), but during the installation it freezes. any ideas why this is happening?

thnx,
Axo

Look at their erratas. This is a known issue. Otherwise, I am running the latest beta without significant issues. YOU could use that or wait for the final to come out, which should be in about six weeks.