Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ned99

KDE or GNOME?

Hey I'm new to Linux and am wondering which is the better GUI, KDE or GNOME? I'm currently restricted to using Fedora Core 3 as that is the only distro that I can get my wireless card to work with. I've heard that KDE doesn't run well with Fedora but I've used KNOPPIX and liked the look of KDE so I was wondering what you guys think.

Cheers,

I'm also new to Linux. My first distro was Fedora Core3, and these guys here will tell you, I got plenty frustrated with it. I was posting asking someone to please tell me how to get it off my machine, short of running over it with a truck:-). Since then, I re-installed win98, seldom if ever use it. I installed FC3 again, in another partition, and began to get more familiar with it, still a beginner! And then I installed SimplyMEPIS, that was a very easy install compared to FC3, but, I just couldn't get it to work well for me, and again, I am a newbie at this, so it was probably more my inability, than the OS (SimplyMEPIS).I just liked the way FC3 looked an acted more than mepis. And now since I took some advice from here, and did the custom install, and selected everything on the install, well, lets just say right now I don't see myself turning back. I like what I got now. So what it boils down to is personal preference.

Justbill

As Justbill says, it's a matter of personal preference. Remember though there are other DE's also besides just the big two. There's Blackbox, Fluxbox, Windowmaker, XFCE, and my personal favourite, IceWM, just to name a few. The big two are great if you want a lot of Windows like tools and utilities. If you need mean, fast and clean, consider one of the others.. smile

I've also had Knoppix for a little while and liked the way I had my KDE desktop configured with superkaramba running a bunch of cool applications on my desktop, transparent menus and taskbar, and etc. with very low cpu resources, but now I've been using ProMepis and I have configured it also to make it look just like the way I had it with knoppix but a little more advanced though with cool desktop backgrounds and a 3Ddesktop manager.

Personally I like KDE more than Gnome and this is probably because I stopped messing around with Gnome, which I have heard so many good things about it as well. You can also configure Gnome to look as fancy as you want it to look as I have seen in some of the screenshots posted at http://www.gnome-look.org/. I have read stories where someone had configured their gnome desktop to look just as a MacOSX desktop and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I remember I used to mess with gnome when red hat 8 came out. So I guess both are excellent window managers and same goes for IceWM, but for now KDE seems to be the most popular.