Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
landroni

mandrakelinux 10.1 iso burn error

I have tried to burn the downloaded Mandrakelinux 10.1 Official Images. I have already destroied almost ten CDs while trying to burn CD1, CD2 and CD3.

I got the following errors: "Could not perform End-Track" and "Burn process failed at 24x" or "Could not perform fixation". I have no idea what that means.

Technical data:

1. Have checked the downloaded files with the md5 files through Total Commander. Everything was OK.

2. Using Ahead Nero (tried also Roxio). Opening the .iso and then starting the burn process. The start is OK and it goes well till the end, when - after gets to 100% - the error pops up.

3. Medium for burning the disks:

TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-R2312 [CD-R/RW] and

SONY CD-RW CRX820E

4. Burning on Verbatim CD-R 700MB

5. Tried to burn at 24x and at 4x speeds (maximum and minimum).

Will appreciate any help as I really want to install Mandrakelinux 10.1 on my laptop. And, by the way, will it work with a Dell, CX400 Latitude, Processor 400 MHz, RAM 256 MB, HDD 6 GB? Hope it will smile.

I would try a new package of cds, or are you sure your burner is working properly? try burning a simple music cd or something and making sure it works

btw, cd1 is on the 700mb marker if im remebering correctly (cd2 and 3 right behind it)

could be the cd's dont have enough space on them...

if that doesnt work... wait for the smarter people to arrive wink

I have tried the same thing with K3B.

I get "Unknown error 254". The simultation got to 99% (689 of 691 MB burned). K3B was set to automatic speed. Average - 10.6x.

In the log I found such a line:

"Fixating...

WARNING: Some drives don't like fixation in dummy mode."

The CPU is not OverCloacked.

How do I reset/reflash the BIOS? Is this dangerous for the two operating systems installed (XP/Mandrakelinux)?

Thanks neus for trying to help.

I have tried the same thing with K3B.

I get "Unknown error 254". The simultation got to 99% (689 of 691 MB burned). K3B was set to automatic speed. Average - 10.6x.

In the log I found such a line:

"Fixating...

WARNING: Some drives don't like fixation in dummy mode."

The CPU is not OverCloacked.

How do I reset/reflash the BIOS? Is this dangerous for the two operating systems installed (XP/Mandrakelinux)?

wait so is xp and mandrakelinux both installed currently? like an older version of mandrake already on there? i ran a google search on your error(WARNING: Some drives don't like fixation in dummy mode), and it seems to be something linux cd burner program based.. did you try burning while under windows (with a windows version of nero or roxio) or only under your current version of mandrake (if that is what your using)

otherwise, get a friend to download n burn for ya, or wait again for the smarter to arrive wink

Hi landroni,

In windows or linux make sure you select burn image file.

Don't open the ISO & burn the contents.

Also you should burn the ISO image at no more than 8X for best results.

Let us know if this helps.

Hi Pfour,

I made sure it was burn image file. It didn't work for already many times with the TOSHIBA (using K3B simulation). Have tried at 8x. Now trying simultation at 4x, but I don't think it will arrive.

Neus, I am actually trying to burn all this on a friend's laptop. There I have a dual boot, with XP and MDK 10.0. I actually ruined some 8 CDs smile with Windows Nero. It is strange that music CDs are going with no problems what so ever (well, it was the same problem only one time and the next Cd was well burnt. So both XP and MDK failed.

As a last resort I will try to burn this thing on another laptop. Hopefully it will work. Still, maybe you could sugest me a place to buy the CDs at a small price (unfortunately I am still a student) and preferably to be able to ship it in France.