Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Quantus

Nvidia's 3.78 drivers and Win2k? Did they work for ya?

I have tried all the drivers since Nvidia's leaked 3.65 drivers and they all have crashed my win2k system. Has anyone had this problem and solved it? Did 3.78 work for ya? And if so, how did you get it to work.

I want to see if i'm doing something wrong (when I uninstall and then reinstall the drivers) or if these drivers are just buggy and cause hard system crashes.

-Q

I can tell you that they work fine in my Athlon 700 with TNT2 Ultra and in my Dual Celery 600 - BP6 with a TNT2 standard.

Brendan.

No - I still have problems can't install anything after 3.6x

have tried 378 and I get "an error has occurred during the installation of this device - the file could not be found" (or similar) I have posted several newsgroups but I never seem to get any reply

Cordless

Admin@RKimTan.co.uk

locks up with my athlon 500/gigabyte 7ix system like every other nvidia beta driver above 3.66

using 3.66 beta again frown

Nope! Its not working. I've *****ed about this before, i might aswell again.

I've gotten random freezes(recoverable only by HW reset), I suspect it's also related to the highpoint ata66 controller.

Monitor Sleeping during directdraw accelerated apps(winamp plugins, mpgs, avis realplayer)(recoverable only by full screen dosprompt and switching back)

Freezing during resolution changing(flipping from maximized to fullscreen mode in avis/mpgs), loading of games, ie halflife, UT, Q3)...

BP6, drives on ata66, tnt2u(xentor 32). 2195.

ARGH!

Though reducing the acceleration slider in the advanced properties to disable d3d and ddraw solves the first and second problems.

But i don't wanna do that do i?? no....

no no no no frown

the same story for every version.

I always get a blank screen, but everything else works (I think), the monitor is not having sync probs either its just blackness.

still, I'm using the latest NT4 drivers which are perfect for opengl and ddraw smile

My system:

fic (viatech mvp3) va-503+ 1.1b bios JK4324 current limiters disabled

amd k6-2 450 ahx

stb velocity 4400 tnt1 16MB agp

hauppauge wintv (that now works with a small screen, latetcy in win2k is bad)

sndblaster PCI64v es1371

udma 33 hd, ls120, creative labs 48mx cdrom

Realtek 8029 PCI

crap isa modem 28.8

ps2 mouse

at keyboard

and knackerd com ports (due to acpi)

monitor compaq 450, manuf' 1992 no known info!

I am getting much stable drivers now. I think we need to let the driver get matured a little. It should take another 2 months or 3 months. More and more of the lock up issue has been resolved. I can at least play Opengl and Direct3D program much fluently since 3.5X. But we are still 10-16 fps behind Windows 98. Hope Nvidia will improve that.

I still get occasional lock up from time to time especially when switching mode in Direct3D or OpenGL. Hope they will iron it out soon.

They worked for me!

I´v tried them all, and this is the only driver that gives me a decent performance in OpenGL (QuakeIII and Unreal Tournament)!

Still it crashes in D3D, but who cares? I´v finally got OpenGL to work :-)

I always run my games on maximum visual quality; Q3@800*600 gives my 58FPS. In 1024*768 I get 38 FPS.

I´d also like to mention the Dell Liveware for SBLive - it rocks!!!

My spec:

Dual PII 300

CL Geforce SDRAM

386MB PC100 RAM

W2K Pro 2195 (final)

Asus P2B-DS (default BIOS settings)

IBM IDE-HD

Lasse

I've used every version since 3.53 and have only had one problem. Quake 3 will not work unless I have done a complete format and install. Everythign else works, it's just Quake that has the problem.

------------------

PIII 450

128 MB Ram

DV 770 32Mb TNT2 (Det. 3.78)

Quantum Fireball 8.4Gb HDD

Tekram DC-310 SCSI Adapter

Panasonic CW-7502 SCSI CD-R

Creative Sound Blaster PCI 64 (ES 1370)

Daewoo 710b 17"

Windows 2000 2195.1

-------------------------

#NTCompatible on UNDERNET!!!

The 3.78 drivers have worked well for me for Direct3D (no crashes so far playing Darkstone and Space Invaders), but OpenGL just refuses to work for me (every game or program I try crashes in nvoglnt.dll with a blown stack).

This is on W2K 2195 Server upgrading NT4 Server SP6, Diamond Viper 770.

Anyone have any ideas as to how I might get OpenGL working?

my problem with the nvidia 3.65 and above drivers is that when i start a mediaplayer or any other direct video application and move or maximize the windows my screen goes black. is this a SMP related bug in the drivers?? (i have a Asus V3800 and an ABIT BP& with 2xceleron400)

The 3.78 drivers are working fine on my system, Abit BH6 Celeron 500 o/ced to 563, and Xentor TNT2... took them through their paces playing Unreal Tournament, Quake2, HalfLife and all worked fine.

Well i still have the same OpenGL crash bug i have had since 3.72. The weird thing is that OpenGL games works perfectly, i can play Quake3/S.O.F. for hours whitout any problems, but when i try to run an OpenGL based screensaver the systen reboots at once!

Now i'm using the NT4 OpenGL driver instead and that one works with the screensavers (and of course Quake3(same speed))

I have no problems whatsoever with D3D (ex U.T.)

They work ok here.

Quake3 sometimes freeze while loading the game, but thats about it.

In opengl I get a little bit lower fps than in win98 but in Direct3d its actually better!!

My only trouble is that when using opengl or direct3d I get 60Hz, but that is fixable by editing the inf file in the drivers.

I still dont get why they dont make a control panel and fix the HZ problem.

Working great, infact a little better than the last.

Galilee,

Releasing drivers with a control panel would involve work.

Quote:
Originally posted by czar:
my problem with the nvidia 3.65 and above drivers is that when i start a mediaplayer or any other direct video application and move or maximize the windows my screen goes black. is this a SMP related bug in the drivers?? (i have a Asus V3800 and an ABIT BP& with 2xceleron400)

I don't know if you know this, but a way to get back to the desktop is by WIN+R run a cmd box, ALT+Tab to full screen then ALT+Tab back. Someone a while back told me of this neat workaround. But I still get lockups that are unrecoverable. <-- I should shut my mouth about this, I've mentioned it sooo many times here.

mr_yellow

thanks man.. it´s really a descent workaround for now...

but i too get random lockups when starting mpeg or avi movies...

nvidia really has to do something about the SMP issues in their drivers...