Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
oli2020

Partitioning for fedora core 3 and 2

Hi all

I was wondering if any one could point me in the right direction. Basically i have installed fedora core 3 on my laptop and completly love it but i want to install fedora core 2 on the same machine (due to compatibilty with certain apps), in a dual boot manner. I have downloaded and burnt the fedora core 2 disks all good. now on the installation process it requests i choose a partition the system is all ready partitioned to have the fedora core 3 on but i cant seem to create another partition as the first partition has got all the free memory how do i lower the disk space on the first partition in order to create a second. I guess a solution is to re-format the machine set up the two installation one after the other but on the first install partition the hard drive into two. I would do this but i spent ages and ages configuring fedora core 3 to just how i want, had to do it twice in-fact cos i came across problems the first time. Is there way of re-sizing a partition ? the edit option doesnt seem to have it there. Am i barking up the wrong tree any advice or urls to tutorial or simliar threads realating to what i want to do would be greatly apreciated.

Cheers and thank you for taking to read my post.

Oli Hale

The easiest solution? Grab a copy of Mepis and burn it on a cd.

Boot Mepis via the cd and there is a package called qtparted that will do the job for you.

Once in Mepis, get to a terminal window as root user and type in qtparted. This will allow you to resize the original partition and create another ext2 or ext3 partition for Core 2. Make a note of the partition name, say hda3, or whatever it is so you know the correct partition to install to.

Or, you can just leave the space blank and tell the install to take the free space.

If you choose to make a partition, when you install Fedora Core 2, tell it to use the already existing partition that you made by using the custom partition option.

The only other issue is the bootloader. Fedora Core 2 will want to install a bootloader. You can choose to install the bootloader to a floppy, or not install one at all. This depends on how comfortable you are with editing grub or lilo. You can always change your existing bootloader to include Core 2 if you wish.

I'm not sure if Fedora Core 2 will set up the bootloader correctly, as you are going backwards in installing versions (Fedora Core 3 to 2). Perhaps somone else has done this and can comment further.

But I guess the issue is, before you do all this, what are the package incompatabilities that you are experiencing? Fedora Core 3 should handle everything that 2 did, and more.