Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
gipanizer

PLEASE HELP ME GET MY SATA DRIVE TO BE SATA AND NOT ATA/100

ok heres my progblem i have an SATA 80GB hard drive intel

915 gux motherboard pentium 4 3.4 ghz processor. now just a little while ago i noticed that in intel desktop utilities it said my hard drive had a max transfer rate of UDMA 5 (ATA/100)but since mines is SATA it should be 150 right? so then i get a diskette from intel and i reformat and at install screen i click on ICH6R Raid . that doesnt work then i click on

ICH6R AHCI that doesnt work. but htne i dowload chipset ID utility it tells me that my motherboard I/O controller is

82801 FB (ICH6) then i read the read me on the floppy and that says the floppy is good for

- Intel® 6300ESB I/O Controller Hub (ESB)

- Intel® 82801FR I/O Controller Hub (ICH6R)

- Intel® 82801FBM I/O Controller Hub (ICH6M)

- Intel® 82801ER I/O Controller Hub (ICH5R)

and now i believe that the FB is different then FBM and ICH6 Is differetn ffrom ICH6R. But i cannot find any download for my mobo so i ask for any help if any one has my same mobo or if someone has found this file or if they can try to find it cuz i have been trying for 2 days and still cant find it. Thank You

I'm pretty confused on what you are trying to do. If you only have one drive, then you can't setup any type of RAID. Though, when you install XP, you do need your SATA controller drivers that came with your mother board.

Originally posted by theefool:

Quote:
I'm pretty confused on what you are trying to do. If you only have one drive, then you can't setup any type of RAID. Though, when you install XP, you do need your SATA controller drivers that came with your mother board.

well im only setting up one drive but my problem is that i didnt get sata drivers with my board. werent they supposed to be on a floppy? cuz i i did not get a floppy. id did get 2 Cds one is just with drivers (none sata)and bios. the other with trusted platform module on it. so im guessing they wanted me to Downlaod the drivers but i cant find them

also after reading from the intel website it says the SATA is integrated onto the board. just incase it helps

i foudn this in some other forums it syas its a patch for ICH6 SATA controller(which is what i need) but i dotn know what is going on any help please?also it says patch attached but its nothere. and is apatch the floppy used before setting up XP?

P.

--

pir

-------------- next part --------------

*** sys/dev/ata/ata-pci.c.orig Fri Sep 17 15:23:46 2004

--- sys/dev/ata/ata-pci.c Fri Sep 17 15:37:13 2004

*** 156,161 ****

--- 156,164 ----

case 0x24db8086:

return "Intel ICH5 ATA100 controller";

+ case 0x26528086:

+ return "Intel ICH6 SATA150 controller";

+

case 0x522910b9:

if (pci_get_revid(dev) >= 0xc4)

return "AcerLabs Aladdin ATA100 controller";

*** 634,639 ****

--- 637,643 ----

break;

case 0x24d18086: /* Intel ICH5 SATA150 */

+ case 0x26528086: /* Intel ICH6 SATA150 */

dmastat = ATA_INB(ch->r_bmio, ATA_BMSTAT_PORT);

if ((dmastat & (ATA_BMSTAT_ACTIVE | ATA_BMSTAT_INTERRUPT)) !=

ATA_BMSTAT_INTERRUPT)

*** sys/dev/ata/ata-dma.c.orig Wed Dec 31 13:05:16 2003

--- sys/dev/ata/ata-dma.c Fri Sep 17 15:39:40 2004

*** 218,223 ****

--- 218,224 ----

case 0x24db8086: /* Intel ICH5 */

case 0x24d18086: /* Intel ICH5 SATA */

+ case 0x26528086: /* Intel ICH6 SATA */

case 0x24ca8086: /* Intel ICH4 mobile */

case 0x24cb8086: /* Intel ICH4 */

case 0x248a8086: /* Intel ICH3 mobile */

i foudn this in some other forums it syas its a patch for ICH6 SATA controller(which is what i need) but i dotn know what is going on any help please?also it says patch attached but its nothere. and is apatch the floppy used before setting up XP?

P.

--

pir

-------------- next part --------------

*** sys/dev/ata/ata-pci.c.orig Fri Sep 17 15:23:46 2004

--- sys/dev/ata/ata-pci.c Fri Sep 17 15:37:13 2004

*** 156,161 ****

--- 156,164 ----

case 0x24db8086:

return "Intel ICH5 ATA100 controller";

+ case 0x26528086:

+ return "Intel ICH6 SATA150 controller";

+

case 0x522910b9:

if (pci_get_revid(dev) >= 0xc4)

return "AcerLabs Aladdin ATA100 controller";

*** 634,639 ****

--- 637,643 ----

break;

case 0x24d18086: /* Intel ICH5 SATA150 */

+ case 0x26528086: /* Intel ICH6 SATA150 */

dmastat = ATA_INB(ch->r_bmio, ATA_BMSTAT_PORT);

if ((dmastat & (ATA_BMSTAT_ACTIVE | ATA_BMSTAT_INTERRUPT)) !=

ATA_BMSTAT_INTERRUPT)

*** sys/dev/ata/ata-dma.c.orig Wed Dec 31 13:05:16 2003

--- sys/dev/ata/ata-dma.c Fri Sep 17 15:39:40 2004

*** 218,223 ****

--- 218,224 ----

case 0x24db8086: /* Intel ICH5 */

case 0x24d18086: /* Intel ICH5 SATA */

+ case 0x26528086: /* Intel ICH6 SATA */

case 0x24ca8086: /* Intel ICH4 mobile */

case 0x24cb8086: /* Intel ICH4 */

case 0x248a8086: /* Intel ICH3 mobile */

Intel 915G ICH6 SATA150 FAILED

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes I too have the same problem. My configuration is on an intel D915GEV motherboard.

For testing purposes I installed a same size IDE-ATA100 hard drive, loaded some benchmarking software and the results were consistant with ATA100. Now I have had both these drives working in another box with a dedicated SATA controller. The SATA drive on that controller runs and performs approx 35% better than the IDE HDD in that same box

All the literature on the intel site indicate the board/chipset should support SATA150 transfer rates.

Even after up[censored] the BIOS to the latest BIOS manual configuration of the SATA device only recognises UDMA5 (ATA100)

Tried all the intel chipset utilities, even downloaded the latest.

I think intel have to release an Intel Application Acellerator (SATA - NON RAID) to give functionality to the chipset, if in fact it can support SATA150 (150 Mb/s)

http://support.intel.com/design/chipsets/915g/ as stated.

Hope they resolve this soon.

:x

Okay Okay, hang on a second here....just let me share my experiences on this.

I bought a Western Digital 120GB SATA drive and hooked it up to my Intel 865 chipset motherboard (Abit IS7).

When I first loaded up Windows it detected the drive as an IDE disk running at Ultra DMA 5/ATA-100 speeds? Why? Simply because in the BIOS I had the SATA set to IDE mode.

If you install the SATA disk and SATA is running in IDE legacy mode, it will function like an IDE disk and cap off at ATA-100. If you set the option to "RAID" in the BIOS, EVEN if you aren't using RAID, the drive will function in SATA mode, and top off at 150 MB/s. However, if you choose this way, you need the disk supplied by your motherboard manufacturer, which if you don't you should be able to find at their website. This is the only way you can install Windows XP on the SATA disk via the F6 method.

Hi, Ok you probably have a 865P with ICH5R which yes will support chipset raid functionality. Unfortunitaly most 865/915 chipsets out there don't support RAID. Question is, are people out there with rather mainstream boards (without RAID) getting the benifits of SATA technology other then the smaller leeds and ease of configuration.

Weird thing is with all the latest feature packed new and enthuiest motherboards out there. All the reviewers are leaping at to review such products with an almost endless stream of data and comparison test. Yet no one in the press seems interested in reviewing the mainstream products, which probably account for over 50% of the market.

Has anyone tried finding a review of mainstream motherboards layely.

cheers

By mainstream you mean packaged computers like Dell, Compaq, HP, and IBM. If yes, then what can you expect, thats just the way it is with them, you buy the machine and use it. Its tough to configure those things, and you can't review a motherboard for those machines, cuz you can only buy them inside a new PC, so either you review the whole machine or nothing.

Mainstream users usually don't care or worry too much about SATA or IDE is, they just say I have 80 gigs of space and thats all they care...speeds, buzzwords, RPMs, all that stuff doesn't really matter to them. If you are the owner of a mainstream PC, and do care about that stuff, then shouldn't you have bought more enthusiast geared parts?

As for if you are getting SATA, in the above posts it seems to be not the case, a patch or tech support workaround could alleviate the issue.

Ok, not tryin to upset you folk. In a nut shell

1. SATA150 is suppose to be faster then IDE-ATA100, by for arguments sake say 35%.....right?

2. So shouldn't the controller chips be able to run these drives at their capability? And not at a cut down ATA100.

Mainstream or enthuiest product, surely if the manufacturers state the product can handle SATA150, wouldn't it be a fair call by the consumer to assume that would be the case?

that's the only point I'm tryin to make.

One other note: Most mainboard companies will not ship a floppy with those drivers. But, I'd bet a whole penny that those drivers are located on their CD. So, you may need to get into that cd, copy respected drivers to your floppy, and go to town. If said drivers are compressed, you will, of course, need to uncompress them.

Or simply download them from the internet.