Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bentwings

more hijackings

Hi,

Newbie here,

So far I have followed the postings regarding homepage hijacking. Well I have it too!!! This is the 3rd time in a year. Each time the only solution was to wipe and reload. Fortunately I don't have many valuable files and don't have a lot of favorites.

Yesteday I got the coolweb or cool search what ever. SpyBot SD finds it but with minutes it is back. It finds it again and so on.

Now I get this little grey window that says "please select your country" What is this??? I find it running in taskmanager and it takes many quick clicks to stop the process and end task. but a minute later it is back. This little window will change the country shown occasionally if left alone. I never select it as I don't know what it is. This little nasty has come and gone over the last year. It was the final problem before my system melted down the last time.

I really don't have time to deal with it so I just park it out of the way. I'm sure it is no good.

I'm not a computer garu, just use the tool so I really need some "easy speak" help.

thanks

bentwings

Are you running a software modem that appears as a "Lucent WinModem" or a "HCF Modem Enumerator".

This could be the modem config utility asking you what country you live in so it can set the dialling properties. I get that with the WinModem that is intergrated into my mainboard each time I re-format.