Sign in to follow this  
Mad

Dell's SBLive! drivers....

I did everything anyone told me.

Install the drivers, then run setup.

Install drivers, reboot.

Use the special inf!

EVERYTHING!

Nothing works, durring Win2000 bootup, it just restarts before the logon dialog appears. Good thing Safe Mode works so I can restore the drivers.

I even tried swapping my SBLive! Value into a different PCI slot.

Nothing works!

These drivers suck ass!

did you goto control panel / system / hardware and choose sound blaster live (basic) WDM and update that driver with the inf?

it works fine with my box

Mad - Did you by any chance install the modified LW3/NT4 combo made by Anthony? If so, a reformat/reinstall will be necessary.

------------------

Shrink

92% of the things we worry about don't happen - but the other 8% DO!

That's the other problem...

I am not sure, I've performed the LW3 installation a million times on this box, but am not sure if I did it with this particular installation.

Isn't there some kind of fix for the LW3 traces?

I guess I'll wait another week to see if any fixes come up, and otherwise I'll reinstall when I get my CD from MS.

No fix - I have been speaking with A. Toste (the generous gentleman who figured out how to install LW3) and he couldn't get rid of LW3 well enough so as to permit successful installation of the new drivers. If he couldn't, I suspect that most others couldn't. Reformat/Reinstall - just think of how happy you will be with a nice clean new system. You can reenable acpi and use hibernation. Have fun :-)

------------------

Shrink

WOW! Thanks shrink now I can reformat my drive since I just did it 2 weeks ago! God I love creative and their fine line of products. Not to mention their great support for us users. Oh well nothing like a nice reinstall/format to brighten up my day

Mad.. at least you could get into safe mode.. my machine wouldnt even do that! arrgggg

LOL - sorry to be the devil's advocate, but Creative didn't suggest we find some way of installing Liveware 3 when it wasn't designed to work with Win2k:-) Luckily I discovered this a couple of months ago when I installed LW3 and then tried to uninstall it. Since then I have tried to warn others not to do it because they would regret it when the proper drivers are released.

Hopefully in 2 weeks you haven't had time to reinstall everything <g>.

------------------

Shrink

I installed the new drivers and I have no access to the mixer controls. I did an upgrade from 98. So I installed the .inf and then installed LW3 from the cd and now I get the toolbar at top but still no mixer or speaker controls.

You think I'm going to need to do a clean install?

That would suck

From everything I have heard in the past 24 hours, install of LW3=Reformat/reinstall. If Anthony Toste (the author of the LW3 install workaround) couldn't get rid of LW3 so it wouldn't interfere with the Dell drivers and software, then I sure know I couldn't. I sincerely hope that someone figures out how to do it - I started a thread in the sblive ng on CL's server for someone to post instructions how to do it, and NOT ONE person has been able to.

Good luck :-)

------------------

Shrink

I have exactly the same problem ...BUT I was using the default SBLive BASIC WDM drivers... installed the dell drivers, followed instructions exactly, and I got a "fatal exeption error in EMU10K1F.SYS just before login, and after 2 seconds my machine reboots ...

Any1 got an idea?

exactly the same problem as rrunner here - and i never installed the liveware3 hack ..

if i replace the emu10k1f file with emu10k1 thats previously installed (rename) i can boot the new drivers without the bluescreen but i cant use any of the dell-liveware applications (they appear in the process list but just dont open)

all goes well in tne neighborhood.. Drivers rox butt.. works perfectly fine.. i forgot the read the install info.. was dam happy there were actially drivers.. so i downloaded them and installed them.. all i did was unzip and hit the setup... wierd..works fine for me without any mods.

Two suggestions: First, post questions to the CL SBlive newsgroup (news.soundblaster.com) and see if others have the same problem and can help you out. Secondly - have you checked for irq conflicts or other hardware conflicts? If I were you I would uninstall the sblive drivers and apps, shut down, pull the card and restart the computer, put the card back in and start from scratch.

Are you using Win2k Pro or Server? Are you both using the final retail build of Win2k?

------------------

Shrink

Another addon - I just pulled this off of the sblive ng:I know we're all fired up about this Dell liveware affair, but before

plunging headlong into it and then wondering why it's not all working as you

want it you need to get rid of a couple files - otherwise Win2k may

intermittantly re-insert some of the old drivers. Here's a checklist of what

to look for before you go on:

1. Make sure you've unchecked the "Hide system files and folders" and "Hide

extensions for known file types" in your Folder Options preferences.

2. Remove the audio card from the device manager

3. Now remove the following files (I'd suggest making a temp folder and

placing them there for safe keeping)

** .\Winnt\Inf : any files called Oem1, Oem 2, etc. There'll be both

inf and pnf versions

** .\Winnt\Inf : look for and remove any of the "wdma_*.inf" files

that reference Creative and or SB.

** .\Winnt\Driver Cache\I386 : Rename the driver.cab file, and for

safe measure put it in the temp folder too. You can always put it back when

you're done here....

** .\Winnt\System32\drivers : Get rid of any soundblaster related .sys

files

** .\Winnt\System32\dllcache : make sure that there isn't any

duplicate .sys files in the dllcache folder. If there are then win2k will

replace the .sys files in the \drivers folder as soon as you exit that

directory.

*** You'll know you got rid of the .sys files if win2k gives you an

error message complaining about missing system files. Go ahead and answer

affirmatively that you'd want to proceed with the new or missing files.

4. Give it a reboot for good measure.

5. Now your Win2k is flushed of all residual wdm drivers and you're all set

to install the new ones. Make note of the files that win2k will prompt you

for as it's a good idea to keep tabs on what it's doing. The rest is pretty

much strightforward.

Hope this helps some of you relieve your frustration and get groovin' with

all the bells and whistles (well, most of them anyway..)

<end cut>

I suggest very strongly following these instructions prior to reinstalling the card to insure that any offending remnant of driver is gone.

------------------

Shrink

Yup I read the post by the guy in the Creative NG.

I did try that, and it worked.

I will type the whole thing out in more detail (clean reading fun :D), and of course give him credit!

Tahnks to all,

Glad to hear it - hopefully a few others won't have to reformat and reinstall! So far you are the 2nd.

------------------

Shrink

Shrink I did that but some of wall thing I keep getting go old BSOD hehe win install new WDM

Hi SHS - I don't think the fix is going to work for everyone - hope it will - but suspect it won't. Did you try reenabling pci steering when you uninstalled last night after removing as much LW software as you could?

------------------

Shrink

Only new Install Windows2000 work + Dell ver Liveware

SHS - you are just envious because you didn't do it <g>. lol

------------------

Shrink

ok tried it with shrinks description and i couldnt fix it for me

tried the patch file posted on the main page and it didnt work either coz the .cmd file doesnt remove the write protected files

but !! smile if i delete the files from the .cmd files manually in protected mode IT WORKS (and they said imitation diamonds werent good enough)

happy liveware 2.2 user now smile

Shrink Here little reply I made to trippma in SBLive <NG>

I do appreciate the work you did being win frist did this long before you

thougth of it, all most same as your instructions even went as far claen out the

registry & it still fail with good old BSOD win install the new WDM drivers.

So I had to do a new install of Windows2000 for the Dell ver LW to Work.

I'm having the exact problem that all of you described. I've gone through the hacked lw3 removal process that Mad wrote and posted on the main page, but the .cmd file won't delete any of the files since they are write protected. How can I manually delete them?