Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hipphead

Mandrake 10.1 can mount /mnt/hdb1 but access is denied.

Ok so here is my problem. I have 2 40gig maxtor harddrives. On 1 I have Win XP and Mandrake 10.1 power pack and the other dive is just a dump drive for downloads and stuff. And I can mount both drives. But when I go to my 2nd drive (hdb1) I get a "access is denied" but yet I can navagate around my hda1 drive. So I have done chmod 777 /mnt/hdb1 to hdb1 and still can't access it.

I know that it is mounted caz of this

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on

/dev/hda5 5.6G 2.5G 2.9G 47% /

/dev/hda7 3.5G 121M 3.4G 4% /home

/dev/hdb1 39G 32K 39G 1% /mnt/secound

/dev/hda1 28G 14G 14G 51% /mnt/win_c

Both Harddrives are fat 32 formatted

Can anyone suggest anything?

what is the file system on that drive. linux currently has write support for fat only, ntfs is only read and that too experimental.

i think the correct way to have write permission over there is to edit your fstab file

in the row for hdb, fourth column the entry is most probably 'default', change it to 'user'.

by default only root will have write access to that hard drive, changing it to user allows users write access.

Originally posted by Hipphead:

Quote:

I know that it is mounted caz of this

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on

/dev/hda5 5.6G 2.5G 2.9G 47% /

/dev/hda7 3.5G 121M 3.4G 4% /home

/dev/hdb1 39G 32K 39G 1% /mnt/secound

/dev/hda1 28G 14G 14G 51% /mnt/win_c

Both Harddrives are fat 32 formatted

Can anyone suggest anything?

Mandrake should have added the drive during the install. The entry should have been the next logical drive/partition such as;

/dev/hdb1............./mnt/win_d

If you added the drive after the install, then you have to edit /etc/fstab to add the entry with the proper permissions. mandrake is set up to automatically add the drive on install, if it is there. It uses the /etc/mtab file to set the drive up.

Try the following. Look at /etc/fstab and check whether the drive is set up correctly. Match it to the code for the "C" drive, except change the values for hdb1. So, it should look like;

Quote:
/dev/hdb1 /mnt/second vfat umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850 0 0

Reboot to allow mtab and fstab to be modified.

You should then be able to go to the Home icon on the desktop and navigate to /mnt/second and access the drive with no problem. This way the drive will be automounted and accessible.

You can check the permissions by right clicking on the second folder, select properties-->permissions-->advanced and make sure that permissions are there for show and write entries , as well as enter.

Thanks a lot Danleff

I went in and added that line and rebooted and now it works. I did have to chmod it again but IT WORKS!!! I am just learning Linux. If it wasn't for form boards & the ppl with the know how I would just give up. Thanks again

kk im glad that worked for you but i cant mount my hard drive frown

i got a seagate 160gb with linux mandrake 10.2

i want to mount a seagate 80gb with a bunch of important stuff that i had from my windows install... ive been told to re-install mandrake and format the other hard drive but i cant afford to loose the the files i have on the disc...

how do i go about mounting it without loosing everything... also this is only my 3rd day of using linux so, plz dont flame me for being a newb smile

Originally posted by Switch_X3:

Quote:
i want to mount a seagate 80gb with a bunch of important stuff that i had from my windows install... ive been told to re-install mandrake and format the other hard drive but i cant afford to loose the the files i have on the disc...

how do i go about mounting it without loosing everything... also this is only my 3rd day of using linux so, plz dont flame me for being a newb smile

Who told you to reformat the drive and do a reinstall? Obviously, you do not want to reformat the hdb drive. This is the data that you want to access.

First, let me ask a few questions.

Is the version that you are using Mandriva Limited Edition 2005?

I bet that you elected to keep security at "high" during the installation? This shows up as default, unless you changed it to standard. This means that you are only able to access the windows partition as administrator.

Let me look at my install and see if there is an easy way to do this.

I assume that the hdb drive was in the system when you did the Mandriva installation?

...and the windows partition, is it a fat32 partition or NTFS? If you are not sure, was the drive a Windows XP drive or Windows 98/ME partition?

The partition should be mounted already, if you picked standard security. In the File manager, look under the /mnt directory. It should be labeled as win_d, or something like that. See what happens when you click on that directory. If it is blank, we need to change permissions.

its ok, thanks for the help, i had security on standardduring install and the drive was put in after... but i figured out how to do it smile i wasnt told i needed a mount location heh ... (mount /dev/hdb1/ <location>...) i was just typeing mount /dev/hdb1/ :P ty anyway laugh