Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DyingMuppet

sound problems @ linux???

Hello,

does anyone know if there is a soundcard that works normally at linux, because my onboard AC'97 jacksense doesn't. I know its linux's problem because it won't work with jacksense soundcard really good.

It just sounds like my boxes are blown up. x)

Well, Creative cards work really well. I'm using a Live card on one of my boxes. Funny that your AC 97 doesn't work cos i'm using FC3 and FC2 now and my VIA AC 97 works perfectly with these distros. Maybe its your distro. What r u using?

I have a Yamaha that works great. Yes Creative cards, Ensoniq, and Soundblaster Live work well (not the adulterated legacy ones found in Gateway and Dell systems).

What motherboard is this? And yes, what exact distro and version?

If you go with a add-on PCI card, just make sure that you disable the onboard sound in the bios.

AC97 is an industry standard. It is not a specific piece of hardware, i.e., a brand. You did not mention which release of Linux you are using, but I have found that the ALSA drivers work for 99% of the sound systems I have encountered.

ALSA can be a little tricky to install if you are not familiar with Linux installation procdures, but I am fairly sure that it will fix your problem.

Bill

This is onboard Gigabyte with jacksense? If so, It would be important to use a new distro, like Mandrake 10.1 or Fedora 3.

If you post the motherboard make and model, as well as the distro and version that you are using, this would help a lot.