Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rohit_diwakar

oracle 8i/9i not woring on XP

i need oracle for my practicals. i have XP. there is no problem during installation of oracle, but when i open SQLPLUS, i m prompted for username/password. i have tried SCOTT, TIGER; SYSTEM, MANAGER; INTERNAL, ORACLE. but it still gives me some TNP protocol adapter error (something like tht).

some of my friendz told me tht it works only on Win 98. but when i tried running on Win98(dual boot) i got the same error.

PLEASE HELP!!!

yes, before installing, oracle i installed oracle client 8 as well. in fact my installation mode was set to TYPICAL SETTINGS(this includes Oracle client automatically).

ps: i have installed sql plus on other systems (for my friends) following the same procedure. it works on their system (using SCOTT; TIGER), doesnt work on mine. itried installation on both win98 as well as XP.

i tried a new installation on win98.

this time, when i used SCOTT; TIGER, i got a dialog box saying "Connectiing to database", then theres a pause and then it reads "CANNOT MOUNT DATABASE()" the workarea reads"ORACLE NOT AVAILABLE"

WHT DO I DO?

Did someone say DBA?! smile

So what version of Oracle are you using -8i?

If you can post the version (probably gonna be 8i, 9i or maybe 10g) then that would help a bit. Also the ORA error you are getting. Typically this is ORA-XXXXX where the Xs are a number.

For the TNS error I think you are getting, you need to set the following below. Before you do this you could try verifying what things look like so just type "set" at a command prompt to see if HOME or SID appear.

(open up a command prompt)

set ORACLE_HOME=<drive:path of your Oracle Home>

set ORACLE_SID=<your SID name>

Then do this (some CD'ing might be required here)

C:\oracle\oraXX\bin>sqlplus /nolog

SQL> connect /as sysdba

Hopefully you can connect!. N.b.- XX is the version number specific to your install. The SID should appear as an Oracle service. The HOME should be something like "C:\Oracle\OraXX"

Let us know if it cr@ps out on you

Good luck

S