Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mjwebb007

KVM use in Linux

Just a quick question. To save space and money I am considering using a KVM switch for a Win Box and a Linux Box....

Are there any hardware considerations for KVMs as far as compatability with Linux distros?

There should not be. I use one on my systems with no problems. KVM switches use PS/2 ports, so you need a PS/2 mouse and keyboard.

I realize most KVMs are PS/2 but I thought in recent months USB ones had come out...

I would hate to have to switch back to all PS/2 peripherals...

Yes, there are usb KVM switches, but I have not tried any out.

I can only speak about the PS/2 switches. They work fine.

What I can say, is if one of the systems is a legacy system, like the Dell Web PC, then you are bound to have some issues. So, if you have a system, or one that is " Built for Windows" like this, keep in mind compatability in general.

But now you have made me think about this. Some that I looked at state compatability with Linux, some do not.

Let's see if anyone else has had experience with this.

Hehe...

I haven't had a pre-built box since 1995 (when I bought a $3000 P75 at CompUSA and went out two days later and bought $1100 worth of upgrades)...everything since then has been blood, sweat and tears....

Anyway...I am going to research some USB KVMs and use one then update this post...we will see...

I've had mostly fair response to using a USB KVM with an Ubuntu machine and XP.

There is some issue when switching back to the Ubuntu box and reinitializing the USB devices, at least the mouse.

With normal use between Windows machines, there's about a 1-2 second delay with device reinitialization. With Ubuntu, it seems to take a few more seconds to reinitialize the mouse.

I took a scant look at the issue and found someone had suggested going into a char session (CTRL ALT F1) while switched over to the XP machine, then switch back to the X session. Doing that didn't seem to alleviate the problem, as I recieved a message

drivers/usb/input/hid-core.c: can't resumbit intr, 0000:00:07-2.1.1.1/input1, status -19

I also woke up to another issue that I imagine is related, where the mouse and keyboard wired through the KVM ceased working entirelly. I've since placed a backup on the Ubuntu box if needed.

Not too worried about the issue, as I've got other things to work on/learn with this (have had Linux installed for a whopping 24 hours!). It works 99% of the time, and that's really all I'm concerned about. Of course, Your Milage May Vary.

Well, I have two PC's as workstations and I have 2 monitors...this is only key if you have two monitors. Ir removes any need for having a kvm (I still have a cheap kb/mouse attached and plunked out of sight.

X2VNC

http://fredrik.hubbe.net/x2vnc.html

It works so well. If you have two Linux boxes, then there is explanation on this page to use another software package. Two windows boxen? Ditto.

I use it home and work, and it's sweet as all hell. It is slower than using a kvm or a dedicated kb/mouse. Depends how much bandwodth you need. Attach the kb to your 'powerful" workstation.

There is a very inexpensive way to get what you want. Linux has a server called "vncserver". Open a terminal window and type "vncserver". The first time you will be prompted for a connection password.

Install the vncclient program on your windows box. Create a shortcut to the executable and optionally put it on your desktop.

On Windows, start vncclient and enter the ip address of your linux box - e.g., 192.168.0.1:1 Note the colon 1 (:1) this is the virtual terminal number of the vncserver you have running on Linux.

Voila, you have control of your Linux box from Windows. You can get really creative and start windows managers etc..

Alternatively, you can (depending on your version of Linux) start vncserver from your desktop and have a desktop environment on your Windows machine.

vncserver is very reliable and I use it all the time to run linux boxes literally all over the world.

HTH

Bill

Very interesting Bill...

So is that effectively like have Linux installed as a virtual system on my Windows machine except that it is mainly using the resources of the real Linux box?

It pretty much will allow me to use the hardware and resources of my Linux box on my Win machine kind of like VMware or Virtual Machine but instead of it being an OS within an OS it will just be a portal to the actual machine. Plus I will really only need the network connection but not a keyboard, mouse or monitor for the Linux box. Will this work with mulit-boot distros as well?

You are correct in that it is like having your linux system running as a virtual machine (sort of). What you really have is a virtual console for the machine to which you connect.

Yes, you must be networked for this to function.

I am not sure what you mean by multi-boot distros. I am guessing that you mean controlling a machine which has more than one os installed and it uses Grub or Lilo for the loader? If so, will it work. Yes and no.

As our machine running vmware probably has no kb, mouse and monitor attached, what you would want to do is change the boot order in say grub from linux to windows and vice versa. You would change the order of the loads prior to doing a restart of the machine. In the case of dual booting say, Linux and Windows. You would want VNCServer installed on both. Of course, you would want to have both machines start VNCServer at boot time. Obviously you will have to start a copy of VNCClient for the booting machine.

Really pretty simple and it allows you to have many machines' desktops on your primary machine without the hassle of cables to all.

Hope this helps

Bill