Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ekstreme

Anyone noticed the lil creative TNT Scham?

I just downlaoded the supposed NEW Creative TNT drivers, only to find out that they were actually Det 3.76. Wouldn't you think that they'd be using 3.78, after all, it has been out since the 14th Feb??

HOWEVER, I think that these drivers will suport TV out, after reading through the setup files. Don't quote me on that though.

------------------

PIII 450

128 MB Ram

DV 770 32Mb TNT2 (Det. 3.78)

QF 8.4Gb HDD

Tekram DC-310 SCSI Adapter

CW-7502 CD-R

SB PCI 64

Windows 2000 2195.1

-------------------------

#NTCompatible on UNDERNET!!!

[This message has been edited by Ekstreme (edited 18 February 2000).]

Like i have said over and over, Creative sucks, I think they are lazy bastards. What did they do...repackage Detonator 3.76 and call it theirs just to say that they are working hard on Windows 2000 drivers?

I believe that Creative does not suck. I have faired quite well with their support. As it goes right now, finding manufactuer drivers (those not already included with the W2K installation) for W2K is pretty scarce, even a day after the official launch. Creative does not have to release official drivers until after W2K goes retail (and they accomplished this).

Creative also has some of the nicest multimedia components out their for everyday consumers like myself. In my opinion Creative Labs is a quite a decent company and they get my thumbs up.

WTF do you mean "Creative does not have to release official drivers until after W2K goes retail (and they accomplished this)"?????? They haven't accomplished S**T the only 2k driver they have out now is for the Grahiks cards, and it IS 3.76 repackaged as their own. Creative have had MANY MANY months to develop these drivers, there's no two ways about it. Simple fact....

To be fair - it's not as if they didn't know when the release date for W2K was going to be.

MS even froze the code - and released the DDK and SDK - TWO MONTHS ago in order that IHVs could have drivers ready to go from day one.

Any company that can't get it's sh1t together with that kind of notice deserves our contempt. Especially when they've not even mentioned drivers for products like their WebCams...

------------------

SuperMicro P6DBS (dual UW-SCSI) BIOS 2.2, 2*Celery 300a @ 450Mhz, 384MB PC100 RAM

SCSI-A=4.3Gb+9Gb, SCSI-B=Tosh32x CD-ROM, Yamaha4416 CD-RW, Iomega ZIP100, IDE1=4.3Gb

IBM EtherJet 10/100 NIC PCI + Nortel ADSL "modem"

Matrox G400 DH 32Mb AGP + Quantum3D Voodoo2 SLI PCI (CL TNT1 AGP on a shelf)

SoundBlaster Live PCI (not Value)

Win2K build 2195 Retail (not 120-day eval)

A common misconception is that OEMs like Creative write drivers. That isn't true. They get the reference drivers from NVidia and then have a chance to customize them. Customizing does not entail changes to the basic driver set. In otherwords, the basic code is exact from what NVidia provided.

Creative's customization entials enabling tertiary features such as TV out and their enhanced display panels. In the grand scheme of things, they had many months to write the TV-out code and their custom display tabs. The rest of the time was spent waiting on NVidia.

Creative has released drivers for their TNT line of cards (check their what's new page for tech support.

Besides, many other companies haven't got drivers together for Windows 2000. Why is it such a surprise that Creative took till the release of Windows 2000 to come out with their own drivers?

BTW, I emailed Creative Tech Support a few days ago asking about TNT drivers for Windows 2000 and they said that their stance on W2K drivers before it's official release is that "Creative does not support drivers for beta OS's, and until Windows 2000 goes retail it is still considered a beta OS."

WE know this man, that's what we are all saying!! The fact is, they've had the time, the still are dicking us around. What I am saying is that the driver they used is old. There was a newer driver out 3-4 days before 2k release and they didn't use it. AS with the sound cards, well, don't get me going!

Okay so how long does it take to code/integrate new drivers? Does it take 3-4 days? If you know that it takes this long then what are your qualifications for saying so? Or are you just trying to sound big and whine?

I've just heard/read so much whinning about drivers in the past day or two that it makes me sick.

Eskreme, I have always enjoyed your posts as you seem to vent in a humorous manner. But for the driver situation, here is something to ponder. Rendition Win2k drivers. Think it'll ever happen with good D3d and OGL acceleration? Never in a million years. They are still releasing BETA win95 drivers!!!!!

WTF are you on about try to put personal attacks on me? I have no qualifications in this matter none whatsoever, as with 99.99% of the users of this forum. If you don't like people venting their steam in here about manufacturers etc, then push off. If it makes you sick, go do it else where.

The only qualification you need around here is ability to detect lamers, and S**T we see alot come through here.

OOPS I got personal >:

Forgive me if I did offended you with the "venting" statement. I did not mean to.

But at least creative is trying to produce some drivers for their cards. When you look at some of the others out there, creative actually looks good. Take Diamond and the savage 3 and 4 cards. Near total abandonment. Rendition gave up with thier win95 drivers production in 1999. There are many others too. I think in time we shall see better drivers for the TNT from creative, even though they will be repackaged and slightly altered reference drivers from redition. And I do agree with you on that the 3.78 version should have been released and not the older 3.76.

By all means Ekstreme, be personal, i have been b1tching about lack of driver support for weeks, Creative Sucks, products are ok, but driver support and tech support sucks. I have written numerous e-mails to them with no response to 80% of them, and when they do respond, they give me ridiculous comments and solutions. What about DVD decoder card drivers from them? Don't get me started on that either (Creative PC-DVD Inlay (CT7165)).

As for the rest of you who have a problem with us complaining and talking about companies' support, I'm sure i can bless you with swear words in rapid-fire-order.

Hmmm...was that personal?

Have a nice Day. smile

[This message has been edited by EddiE314 (edited 19 February 2000).]

It's not only about the TNT cards, it's about their entire product line...graphics cards, sound cards, web cams, everything.

True they get "reference drivers" for TNT and other video cards and "customise" them, but this isn't true of their audio cards and other products.

And, speaking as a software developer of some 20 years standing...if you've been getting regular drops of: OS, SDK, DDK and reference drivers (which everybody has), and you're a competent and motivated development group, then you'll have your "customisations" ready to plug in to the "latest and greatest" every time.

4 days? It shouldn't take you more than 4 hours. Been there, done that. It's not hard if you're competent and motivated. Which do we think Creative aren't?

And finally, while all this *****ing and moaning is quite carthartic - it will accomplish exactly squat. The class of people who actually care about this kind of thing (us) are so insignificant on a global sales scale, that Creative can afford to piss us off, because Joe Consumer will still see the shiny box and buy it.

Oh, and finally, every "release" from NVIDIA has been beta - including 3.76. Now that Creative have released it, is it no longer beta?

Finally, somebody who actually knows what they are talking about. Legitimate, backed up claims I can deal with and understand. Complaining I can also understand, but only when backed up by substantiated claims. Not just: "I think; therefore it is."

[This message has been edited by Maeric (edited 19 February 2000).]