Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
petegavin

what no root! ???????????

After a bit of a nightmare installing suse 9.2 yesterday I was a bit miffed to find there was no p2p software as in 9.1. However i came across post of someone asking how to install LimeWire which said "cd into the directory you downloaded the limewire.bin file and type sh ./LimeWireLinux.bin" Cant be that easy i thought?

Anyway it is!!!!!!!!!!! and no root access required!! good god is this a dangerous as it seems?????? anyway it works. So, if its that easy to install software safely in Linux why the hell do we have to put up with all the usual stuff?

put simply:

dangerous, perhaps, but only to -your- user account. it's not shared with

any of the other user accounts you may have on the system.

stuff installed as root usually means software installed for all user accounts

on the system. shared applications.

if your user account does not have any special privileges, then software

installed by and running as your user id is not very dangerous.

The key thing isn't **what** you are installing, but **where** you are installing it to. Limewire can be installed anywhere - it doesn't require any files to be written to /usr, or to any other directories requiring root access. The install is really just an unjar, so root privileges aren't necessary.

Its actually no problem at all. If you do not enter root access, you will realize that Limewire cannot be installed into any other directory than your Home directory as it is with all other software. You can trash your Home directory any way you like. No security issue there. A harmful software can only cause serious damage if it's installed using root access and thus have access to all impt system files. So actually its more secure to install software without using root access.

So if it is "safe" what about my second question, if this type of installation only effects the home directory, which in my case (and i'm sure many others) is the only user directory on this desktop, why dont all applications install as simple binaries, or at least have that option?

flippantly: because you're running a multi-user operating system. laugh

seriously though, many applications are designed to store configuration data

and user files in a user's part of the filesystem while the application binaries

and libraries are stored in the system's part of the filesystem for reasons of sharing

and protecting the application itself from the actions of users.

this separation of user config+data from app bin+libs is also reflected in the filesystem

layout and usage accounting in that the /usr/bin directory often lives on a partition

or disk separate from /home.

Similarly, the system backup strategy is positively affected since the infrequently changing

and possibly quite large collection app bin+libs files need backing up less often

than the frequently changing and often relatively small collection of user config+data files.

Quite true. GNU/Linux is a multi-user system. Many software if not all, allow you to install in your home directory without root access. But this will result in other users on the system not being able to access that software.