Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Philgo

Untitled thread

I wonder if anyone can help.

I have been running a wireless network for about 3 years.

with 3computers win 95, win 98, win 2000 professional.

The network and wireless cards are by D-link as is the router. I have firewalls by Zone Alarm on the 200 box and 98 box.

I am replacing the 95 box - as my wife has got fed up with the speed - or lack of it.

My new machine has XP professional.

The XP machine connected to the Internet - out of the box.

I added the machine to an existing workgroup - and the new box can be seen by the other computers on the network i.e. in computers near me it shows up as MumsBox.

I thought I was doing fine, so I shared a folder but this cannot be seen by the other machines and when I click on Mumsbox on the other machines it says there is no pathway to \\MumsBox.

When I look for computers in the workgroup on the XP machine it cannot see the other computers but can see Mumsbox.

What am I doing wrong.

Cheers, Phil

I'm assuming that new XP pc came as is and will therefore be formatted with NTFS.

Your W2k box must be formatted with FAT32 as the 95 and 98 can see files on there.

The problem (I think) lies in NTFS.

You either need to redo the XP box and use Fat32, or convert W2k box to NTFS, and upgrade the 98 box to an NT-based OS (w2k, XP)

Wait for some other replies firstfrom the likes of DosFreak, Clutch, et al... just to confirm what I have stated.

smile

First, this has nothing to do with the File system. Microsoft handles seeing the different file systems fine on a network.

One area to explore is the firewall on the XP machine. More often than not it is the native firewall that has to be tweaked.

The second area to look at is how you setup the shared folder. If you go through XP's wizard rather than a straight share through Windows Explorer there is likely a toggle that may have been missed.

Sometimes, you have to cold boot the whole system - that is, turn all of them off and bring them up one at a time.

Try these things first but don't mess with trying to switch out the file systems.

Sampson is correct in his statement about NTFS. Over a LAN Windows doesn't care what FS is used.

Since you are not on a domain make sure that "Use simple file sharing" is enabled on the XP box.

Open My Computer

CLick on the Tools menu option and select Folder Options...

Select the view tab and scroll to the bottom.

The last item should read "Use simple file sharing (Recommended)"

Make sure that is checked.

You may also need to create user accounts on the XP box for the users logged into the 98 and 2000 box. I think the Simple file sharing bypasses this but I have no way to test.

If you do create the accounts, you then need to grant those accounts access to the share on the XP box.