Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Maeric

Windows 2000 Compatibility Issue

I recently tried to upgrade to Windows 2000 Professional on my family's computer but had the following incompatibility problems:

CD-ROM controllers

MKEPanasonic CD-ROM Drive

Display adapters

AT25 + Voodoo Rush (Single Board)

Sound, video and game controllers

Aztech Sound Galaxy Nova 16

I know how to solve the problem with the Voodoo Rush, but the other two cause my sound card and CD-ROM to be inopperable, as the CD-ROM controller is an IDE interface on my soundcard. Any help would be appreciated.

----------------------------

Pentium 133, 2GB WD HD, 96MB RAM, Intense 3D Voodoo Rush, Reveal SC400 Sound Card (Sound Galaxy Compatible), Reveal Panasonic 2x Internal CD-ROM, Kingston Generic Network Card

First, your CPU is too small for Win2k, stay on Win95 or buy a PII350 or more.

Second, your HD is too small for Win2k, stay on Win95 or buy a 6 Go or more.

Third, your sound card is a crap, brand new and powerful new sound card are really cheap, buy a new one or sayon Win95.

All I can say, is that you computer is really to old to be under Win2k. If I were you, I would say under in95, that as been desined to fit on your computer. If you want to use a 4 years old computer, use 4 or 3 years old software. And if you wanna use today software, buy a computer tomorrow.

Awx

he is basically at the minimun requirments, he doesn't have to buy a new comp, or stay with win95.

why get a pii350?

i have a 300mhz (o/c from 266mhz) and it works fine

and his harddrive is fine for win2k, 2gb is big enough, you don't even need 1gb.

but i do sugest if the soundblaster doesn't work, to get a new one,

or find a used creative labs sb 16, i've got a creative labs 16 pnp/isa card (not used, i bought it 5 years ago for my 386) and it works good enough,

#1. If you try putting it on a PI133 then you might be able to get into windows by time your five course meal is done.

#2. The hardware is probably too old.

So in other words either stick with 9x or linux on the computer

well i won't argue with number 1,

it takes about 45mins to 1 hour on my pentium 2 300/96.

but i remember that installing windows 95 on a 386dx 33mhz with 40mb ram took almost an hour to install, then again it was off of floppy disks.

but im sure if he gets a new IDE cdrom drive, not using the controller card, a new(er) video card, and a new soundblaster,

win2k performance should be ok on there.

if he really wants to install it.

i probably wouldn't as win2k isn't really to important.

windows 95 was important for me to install on my 386, it gave new life to it.

but win2k won't do to much to that computer.

Basically I know the hardware is crap, but I want the security that Windows 2000 gives. I have already installed the OS, I just need the drivers. I know it's old, but that doesn't mean it can't be used. The speed of Windows 2000 is fine on the computer I just need the proper drivers. If you don't know anything about the drivers then why post?

Because... we enjoy mocking people with inferior hardware to our own? That, and I don't think there are any drivers in existence for the hardware you named.. Voodoo Rush? Damn, i didn't know anyone was dumb enough to buy one of those pos cards..3dfx's first failure at an integrated 2d/3d chip. Ugh.

Buy new hardware. It will run much better.

------------------

Just once, I'd like to see an elementary particle physicist use *ZOT* when referring to accelerator operations. Is that too much to ask?

Have you checked with your hardware manufactures?

thats probably the best place to start.

if they don't have drivers, then you're out of luck.

HI Maeric,

I do think that your HDD 2GB is quite OK for W2K, provided that it is not to shabby. I have my W2K on a 2GB partition also, which I turn on a really nice feature of the W2K I would say, that is file level compression. This is a significant improvement on the old disk level compression as offered by W9X, which has poor score in the reliabilty dept.

I did a little research, and the best I can find is a couple of support sites from the companies with drivers for WINNT which is iffy at best for these to work. but here ya go.

http://www.aztech.com.sg/frame_support.htm

-about half way down the page it has a link for your SC, and it should have info and a WINNT driver there somewhere.

http://www.panasonic.com/host/support/index.html

-near the bottom of the page it has a WINNT driver for a 2x CDrom. may or may not work or be compatible.

[This message has been edited by Maverick494 (edited 18 February 2000).]

I would like to say thank you to the following members for their patience and help & useful comments:

- Tony

- tylau

- Maverick494

Maverick494's comments especially helped. I will be using his suggestions the most as he provided the most useful information (links to files). However all aforementioned members deserve my thanks!

Thank you!

Maeric - why not check out the MS HCL to see if MS actually support your hardware in W2K. Then check the IHVs site...

------------------

SuperMicro P6DBS (dual UW-SCSI) BIOS 2.2, 2*Celery 300a @ 450Mhz, 384MB PC100 RAM

SCSI-A=4.3Gb+9Gb, SCSI-B=Tosh32x CD-ROM, Yamaha4416 CD-RW, Iomega ZIP100, IDE1=4.3Gb

IBM EtherJet 10/100 NIC PCI + Nortel ADSL "modem"

Matrox G400 DH 32Mb AGP + Quantum3D Voodoo2 SLI PCI (CL TNT1 AGP on a shelf)

SoundBlaster Live PCI (not Value)

Win2K build 2195 Retail (not 120-day eval)

Already did that but thanks anyways YuppieScum. Drivers aren't supported with MHCL, but neither is Voodoo Rush but it has drivers out for Windows 2000 (albeit 2D only drivers).