Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mctonale

can i use ad-ware?

Recently installed xp sp2.

It wouldn't let me back onto the internet (I know now because I had other firewall and anti-virus software installed)

So I had to boot from disc (formating drive).

I am running a pier-to-pier download service.

Can I install Ad-ware and witch windows updates can I download?

[Edited by mctonale on 2005-01-28 19:14:46]

I have SP2 with all updates released to this day and I have no problems downloading files from internet.

My browser is firefox though... smile

(

If you mean p2p programs like kazaa, dc, then you need to configure your firewall to allow those programs to access internet.

)

Quote:

If you want to save them? Catch them as they are forming in the WUTemp folder (usually, this forms on the disk as you are doing windows update on the disk you have with the MOST freespace on it... if you only have 1 harddisk? It will be C:\WUTemp

The WUTemp folder is in "new" windows update (v5) "C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download" folder. Or what?

At least the new wupdate does not create "%drive%:\wutemp" folder. And it leaves "C:\Program Files\Windows Update" folder empty.

No luck. even told me it was disabling them before it told me it had found them.

Did have Adaptec Direct CD and easy CD creator installed a fue days before update.

But uninstalled them when I found out you have to pay for the upgrade.

In My Computer, right-click on the CDr-drive, then click Properties. There should be “Recording” page with a check box to “Enable Recording on this drive”, make sure this box is checked.

There is no recording page

Update for CD Burners, referred to in Microsoft Knowledge Base article #320174.

My CD drives have vanished (from Explorer, Device Manager, etc.

Quote:

This happens quite often if one of the third-party packages has been uninstalled. They add references in the Registry for modules which they use, and these references fail to be removed, leaving Windows unable to find the files apparently needed for CD devices at the next boot.

There is a simple Registry patch to correct this (download it here). Before using the patch, be sure to back up the Registry. After using the patch and rebooting, the drives should reappear. Any third party package that is still required will then need to be re-installed.

This problem also may arise if there is underlying trouble with the Input-Output system of the machine: for example, interactions with controllers like Promise or Highpoint, or with special drivers.

It may be worth trying a change in the DMA settings for the device in Control Panel | System | Hardware | Device Manager. Under IDE controllers, double click on the Primary or Secondary IDE Channel concerned, then click the tab for the Advanced Settings page.

How to troubleshoot issues that occur wh... in Windows XP.

Can anyone help My friend has the same problem but the reg fix is no longer avaliable.

Originally posted by mctonale:

Quote:
Can anyone help My friend has the same problem but the reg fix is no longer avaliable.

The link works, at least for me?

Here's the contents of the registry file:

Code:
REGEDIT4[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]"UpperFilters"=-"LowerFilters"=-[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdr4_2K][-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdralw2k][-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdudf][-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UdfReadr]

Great, thanks again.

Quote:
The link works, at least for me?

Strange. I see it in the solution but not in the thread. (not a link in the solution) Many other posts are missing as well????????