Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Justbill

OK.....next question?

My neighbor downloaded and burned "SimplyMepis 2004.6iso" for me last night, from mrbass.org. I have tried to run it on my machine, but FC3 starts instead. In "set up" I changed it to boot from removable devices, but guess who keeps getting in the way? You guessed it , FC3. I'm wondering about now, who owns my machine, me or FC3! Any how, any thoughts on my new dilema? Or do I just need to rip the hard drive out of this thing to get the machine back.

Justbill

You know what?

If indeed the boot order in the BIOS looks to boot from the cdrom before the harddrive, in this case, I would suspect that the cd is not bootable. In other words, that it was not burned correctly.

The bootable cd's must be burned in a special way. Here are some links that may be helpful:

http://www.iceteks.com/articles.php?act=view&article=burniso&p=1&

http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/coasterless.htm

make sure that you burn it as an .iso disk.

Let us know how you get on with it. Oh, and by the way, I myself have reason to be impressed with Mepis. It was the only distro that I have tried that automagically got the x configuration right on my Dell Inspiron 8000 laptop.

Regards,

Robert

Yes, rather than blaming Fedora, look at what robstr12 said. If you mount the cd disk, open it, and just see the file with an .iso extension, your neighbor burned it incorrectly.

If you see a bunch of directories and files, he probably burned it at too high a speed, or the download was faulty. ISO images need to be burned at a low speed, say 4X 0r 8X.

Since you installed Fedora, you know that you have to boot the disk with cdrom as the first boot device in the bios.

So, take a deep breath, look at the reason why the cdrom disk is not booting and talk to your neighbor.

If you had any other OS in your system, the same thing would happen, if the cd disk was not burned properly, or you had a bad download.