Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
atomicmonkey15

Windows XP problems -- Explorer.exe & iTnes

Ok im having two problems.

1) When i boot up windows i am unable to click the start menu or anything, i have to "ctr-alt-del" and close "explorer.exe" and then run "explorer.exe"

2) iTunes only opens up after i reinstall it. (everytime i want to run iTunes i have to reinstall it)

I got really annoyed with them, so i wiped my hardrive and reinstalled. The problems were still there! So then i blamed ghosts, so i zero-filled my harddrive using Western Digital Data Lifeguard. Still same problem... so i tried another harddrive... same problem! What am i doing wrong! Im so confused, ive never had such a problem before. Also it has nothing to do with my overclock, ive tried settings as low as 600mhz!

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks

SPECS:

Motherboard - Shuttle AN35N-Ultra

CPU - AMD Athlon Mobile 2400+ @ 2.42 [210x11.5]

Memory - 2x512 PDP Systems PC3200 in Dual Channel

Power Supply - Raidmax Silent 500W

Video Card - Radeon 9500 softmod 9700

Sound Card - Creative Labs, SoundBlaster Live Value!

Open your computer and look at your motherboard. There are some insulated cylinders that usually have silver tops with like a cross or x symbol on top of them. They should be totally flat. If any look like they are protruding up or outwards your motherboard has had some type of surge and needs replacing.

Hope this helps.

I don't know anything about Linux. sorry. Are both Linux and Windows on same partition? Maybe depends which one gets loaded first (like I said I don't know about Linux - just trying to offer suggestions).

Did this problem only start after itunes was loaded? If yes, could it be that SBLive and itunes have conflict. Have seen that before with the SB cards causing lockups and GPFs due to various conflicts. Maybe if you have some onboard sound you could try taking the card out temporarily.

Only other thing I know of would be to ask if zeroing out is the same as debug but you said you tried another hard drive so that would rule that out then.

I guess that's about my two cents worth.

i think u maybe be right about the SB driveres, i noticed that isntalling those were the beginning of the problem. Im going to try installing windows home (legit), then installing SP1, not doing automatic updates, and not installing the creative software. I will report back later. If anyone has any other theories/helpful comments, they will be gladely appreciated.

Thanks.