Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
chambiz

LAN

I would like to know how to connect to my local network in order to share files with other computers. I use fedora 3. i know about an application called samba but i have no idea what to do with it

thanks

If your other machines are also Linux boxes, ssh is the best and most secure way to transfer files, especially if any of your network is wireless. If nothing is wireless, then ftp will be ok also.

We have a closed network at my radio station and swap files using krusader, a front end for ftp that allows for dragging and dropping files between machines.

If you need to swap files between your FC3 box and Windows machines, I'll have to defer to others as I know very little more than you about how to set up a Samba network. I hope this helps.

What I do is have shares on my windows xp boxen, then using samba I mount the drives in Linux (its setup in my fstab).

mount -t smbfs 192.168.0.x/remote /mnt/local

change IP, remote, and local to match your configuration.

If you open the Samba administration menu (somewhere in the menu, haven't used it for some time) you can add a share from your local machine to the workgroup or domain. If you have problems with that, install webmin with the samba client. apt-get webmin & apt-get webmin-samba (or something)

I use a program called "Smb4k" - it's simply awesome. It can automatically mount SMB shares for you, and you can administer it yourself as well. It works rather well. I HIGHLY recommend it, esp for beginners.

EDIT:

mount -t smbfs 192.168.0.x/remote /mnt/local

above

Sorry, the above is for nfs, but with a :

mount -t nfs 192.168.0.x:/remote /mnt/local

But to use samba...

smbmount //computer/remote /mnt/local -o ip=x.x.x.x

You may need to supply credentials. Run

"man smbmount"

In a linux terminal for information.

Wasn't paying attention this morning and grabbed the wrong line from my fstab.