Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
chambiz

.tar.gz

I d like to say that i m very impressed from the knowledge that all you guys have and from the interest you show to help new users or old to solve their problems

I am a new user of linux. I use FC3 and i d like to know how i get to use and install files like *.tar.gz for example flash player 7. i tried to upgrade my browser (when i entered a site) automatically but after downloading the fp7 and trying to install it i got the message 'failed' so after that i have downloaded the file but i dont know how to install it

thanks

I faced the same problem as you when trying to automatically install FP7 through Firefox. I used apt-get to install it but you can do it manually. Download the tar.gz file and unpack it by right-clicking it and select the unpack option. There should be an executable which you can start by going to the terminal, cd to the directory where the file is and then ./filename. I havent done these manual installations much since i started using apt-get so im not too familiar with flashplayer installation procedures.

Try unpacking as iamroot suggests. It should make a new folder called "flash_dealy" or something like that. Change directories into flash_dealy and then type:

./configure <enter>

make <enter>

(now switch to root using "su")

make install <enter>

If there is a special way to configure the program, it will be in a README or INSTALL text file. To look at this file, type:

less README (when you are in the flash_dealy) directory.

This will tell you what to type for the configure option

ie:

./configure --usr=/home/blaa

or something

Hope this helps.

If i'm not mistaken, flashplayer does not have to installed by compiling code. Its a shell script i think.

alrighty! here is the codes that you will want!!!!

to begin-

tar -xzvf flashplayer-installer.023.tar.gz

then

cd ./flashplayer-installer

./flashplayer-installer, then self explanatory from there!

Daum

Yeah. That's correct. Except you can do the unpacking by right-clicking on the file instead of doing it thru the terminal.