Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
chambiz

wine

hi, i am a new user of fc3, and i recently installed wine and after that i tried to install winamp. i ve managed to install it but i dont know where and how to reach it in order to use it again. i have the same problem with other windows apps. I woul appreciate if someone could help me

thanks

Open Nautilus, and under preferences there is a place in there where you can "show hidden files" just like in Windows. Find that and enable it. Then you'll notice a bunch of files in your home directory that start with a period. Your wine folder will be one of them. It will be .wine.

In there you will see something like "c_drive, then "fake windows," then, "Program files" or some such. Look for the ".exe" that starts your program there. Let's say the name of the .exe is winamp.exe. Right click on it, and "wine" should be a choice for you to open it with.

Why would you want to run Winamp under Linux using wine, when there is a kick-ass player already included with your distro called xmms? wink

Xmms looks almost exactly like winamp, and with the mp3 plugins, it sounds terrific. Look for it under "Mulitmedia" in you menu. It won't be called xmms though. I think Fedora calls it "media player" or something odd like that. Or, from the command line, type in:

xmms

And enter.

thanks man i did everything you told me and i found the links to the programs i wanted

there is a player with my distro but believe me is completely different from winamp.it s called music player

i didnt want to use winamp, i just wanted to find out how to use wine and winamp was the first programme i found so...

thanks a lot again

Originally posted by chambiz:

Quote:
...there is a player with my distro but believe me is completely different from winamp.it s called music player...

Did you type:

xmms

from the command line and press enter? Did Xmms come up? It was included in FC1&2. It the folks at Fedora have stopped including Xmms as of version 3, then they're just downright nuts!

Even if it's not, it would be simple to install it if you want to use it. smile

Quote:
there is a player with my distro but believe me is completely different from winamp.it s called music player

XMMS is just as same as winamp. If you are talking aout its skins, which you could easily download and put them into xmms skins folder to make it look exactly the same as winamp, then you can also do that. You can use just about 95% of winamps skins for xmms, but I guess you are just experimenting with wine.