Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Masterfinn

Linksys Router droping connection intermittently

I have a linksys BEFSR41 router, that drops my connection intermittently. I have 4 computers hooked to this router then onto the interenet through a cable modem. Everything has been working great for a few years now but just a few weeks ago this problem occured. When it drops the connection I am still able to view all the computers on the local intranet and share files..etc I am also able to ping the router and the other machines no problem. But I can not get to the internet or ping outside the router. When this drop happens I either wait a few minutes (sometimes an hour or two) then the connection seems to be back up and I can get on the internet again. But what I usualy do is just hit the reset button on the router wait a few seconds then bamn.. back on the interent for the time being.( could be 5 min or could be a few days). I have tried to update the router to the newest firmware and still no luck. Also I have tried to hook one of the computers directly to the modem and it did not loose any connection so it has to be something with my router. The router is configured to my ISP via static IP. I double checked all these settings in my router and they havent changed from what they always were. And like I said before I placed these exact settings hardcoded into one of my machiens then hooked it to the cable modem directly bypassing the router and it worked flawlesly so I know these router settings are correct. Normaly each machine is set to DHCP to the router. I tried setting each machine with a static IP but no luck. I did some googling on this issue and found most peoples problem was they had to clone one of the machiens mac address to the router. I shouldnt have to do this as it has always worked before. But i will give it a try.

Anyone out there know of anything else I could try or if there is something im missing. Thanx

Masterfinn

Is you router on all day and night 24/7 for years on end?

Is it in a closet, box, under a bunch of other equipment etc...

well over time that sucker probably gets really hot, and with time its just started to fail due to heat damage.

possibly a cold joint or just plain chip heat, wear and tear.

i have found this to be the case in many poorly maintained and designed routers that get really really hot. You have to keep in mind that routers are so cheap nowadays that the manufacturers dont bother condidering thermal design to any great extent when making them. They put chips that get hot, without heatsinks into little plastic boxes, with few if no holes, which usually get covered when these boxes are stacked, and are on 24/7. thats poor thermal design.

Most routers can take a beating, and its usually awhile before such heat abuse starts to take notice, in the form of strange behaviour in you service.

so look into that, try turning it off for awhile,, crack it open or put a fan on it and see if that helps.. it probably wont since by the time you notice the problem, its usually to late.

Yes my router is on 24/7 and i guess for a few years now so i can see what your saying. I still however dont think its overheating as its in a well ventalated area and when i put my had on it anywere its just feels a little warm barely noticable. So far i tried to do a factory reset on the router then configured it back to what I wanted. I than upgraded the firmware again as when I did it before it might not have worked correctly who knows. Anyways its been a few days and it hasnet lost the connection yet (knock on wood) so i guess we will just have to sit and wait to see what happens in the next little bit. Thanx for the quick responce

Masterfinn

I have been having the same problem which began around the new year. I have three computers connected to a network through wired connections and linksys router. I also have a linksys wireless router I use with a laptop. These routers then hit a bridge back to my isp. All was working fine for several years and then suddenly all computers on the network would occasionally lose access to the internet. I think it may have something to do with a Symantec Systemworks/Firewall but am not sure. Once the connection is lost, I have to either use the repair LAN connection in XP or can go to dos and use ipconfig /release and /renew. This doesn't cause a major problem but is very annoying. I have tried everything I can think of and any help resolving would be appreciated.

I figured my problem out. There was another post that was made on this site that discussed a LAN autodisconnect registry setting. I followed the following link to microsofts web-site which discusses how to resolve this problem. Here's the link:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.asp...%3E%3C/table%3E

By simply going to the command prompt and typing the following, the registry was updated so that the machines would no longer time out:

net config server /autodisconnect:-1

This has fixed my problem thus far, machines no longer lose internet access intermittently. I am wondering if the Symantec update may have fiddled with this registry setting?

Hope this post helps somebody.