Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
schmd

Newbie Dell 8200 upgrade: Need help

Hey. This whole financial fiasco started when I decided to replace the aging GeForce 2 MX in my Dell Dimension 8200 1.8GHz 1Gig RDRAM. I promptly bought a GeForce 6600GT off of ebay for a decent $160 without investigating the requirements of the video card first (how smooth was that). I then found out that the vc I bought required a PCI-X port, which my 5-year-old motherboard didn't have. After talking to a friend of my father's who knows computers pretty well, I decided I might as well upgrade the whole shabang: motherboard, processor, RAM, and VC.

Problem is, I have a Dell, and Dells suck for custom upgrading (at least, that's what I've heard)! I've already decided to get a motherboard with Intel's new LGA775 socket, since I've already bought an LGA775 3.2 GHz processor off of ebay (another great deal for $170). Right now, I have my eyes on either the EPoX EP-5EPAJ or the Albatron PX915P Pro, both with the intel i915P chipset. I also plan to sell my current gig of RDRAM and to buy a pair of Corsair XMS 256MB DDR sticks.

My question is can a 2-year-old Dell 8200 handle these upgrades? I've heard of problems with power supply compatibility and cooling, as well as problems with simply fitting the new motherboard in a Dell case. My goal is to keep costs at an absolute minimum, since I was originally expecting to pay only $160 for the video card. Can anyone advise me on whether or not these upgrades are a good choice and whether or not they will work with my equipment? Do I need to back up my hard drive before these upgrades? Thanks for any and all help. By the way, keep in mind that I only learned the difference between socket 478 and LGA775 a week ago smile.

-Doug Schmidt

For informational purposes, here are my current and proposed system specs (as much as I know, that is):

CURRENT:

Dell Dimension 8200

-Windows XP SP2

-Intel Pentium 4 1.8 GHz w/massive heatsink

-1 Gig Toshiba RDRAM

-GeForce 2 MX

-75 Gig Maxtor HD

-Intel/Dell motherboard (dated ~2000/2001):

chipset unknown, Socket 478, 4x RDRAM slots, 1x AGP?x,

4x PCI, 4x USB (2 back, 2 front)

-Datech DS9232-12HB fan:

DC 12V, 0.70A, 4000 RPM, 77 CFM, 47.5 dBA, w/shroud that

covers CPU

-Dell Power Source:

AC input 100-127V/6A, 200-240V/3A

DC output +5V/22A +12V/14A

+3.3V/18A -12V/1A

+5VFP/2A

Max. output: 250W; +5V & +3.3V <150W

CHANGES PROPOSED:

-Intel Pentium 4 540 3.2GHz 1M cache 800FSB LGA775 (new heatsink

needed?)

-512MB Corsair XMS DDR RAM

-GeForce 6600GT

-EPoX EP-5EPAJ motherboard:

LGA775 socket, Intel i915P express chipset, 1x PCI-X x16,

2x PCI-X x1, 4x PCI, 8x USB, 4x DDR slots, +more

OR

-Albatron PX915P motherboard:

Identical to above except: 3x PCI, different audio/LAN

-Different fan?

-Different power source?

Hello!

I have a Dell 8200 myself. I can tell that you are screwed as far that case. You will need a better and stronger powewr supply for your new setup anyway. Both the case and power supplies in Dell Computers are arranged and designed in such a way that you can not just go out and buy parts anywhere and do an upgrade, except mostly from Dell. Now I know where to buy power supplies that will fit Dell cases, but that does not help you with the Motherboard issue.

You best bet is to go out and buy yourself a nice case that already has a hefty power supply in it. Then just use what parts you can from the Dell and transfer those to the new rig.

Originally posted by PTS:

Quote:
You will need a better and stronger powewr supply for your new setup anyway.

What kind of power level am I looking for (assuming that I will get a new case, which I'll probably have to)? Also, about the motherboard, how do I know ahead of time that either of the two motherboards listed will fit into a case that I buy? Which companies are good for cases/power supplies? Thanks again for the help.