Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rex_crow

Manually set IRQ for usb2 cardbus

Hi all,

I'm trying to configure an external USB2 harddrive enclosure on a HP Pavilion ze4420ca with a generic cardbus that has a NEC chip.

There are numerous posts concerning problems with external enclosures and usb2 and no one seems to know a workable solution.

I want to try setting up a second hardware profile with certain devices disabled and manually assign irq and memory address. THis way the second profile can be used just for transferring files onto the laptop.

Ideally - if I can get it to transfer at high speed - I can use the external drives as a library, keeping everything, including a ghost image of a clean install and only using the 40G internal drive for the operating system and programs and a few Gigs of current files.

I switched the computer to standard pc in device manager - but - the manual settings for IRQ still aren't enabled (Do I have to do a clean install to force a Hal change?

I've also disabled: floppy disk controller, modem, printer port (LPT1).

What else can i disable?

Also, is there a way to sync the files back to the external storage if I've modified them?

I've posted a web page with some logs and a screenshot of system devices. http://www.geocities.com/rex_crow/

Thanks all who respond. smile

Quote:
I switched the computer to standard pc in device manager - but - the manual settings for IRQ still aren't enabled (Do I have to do a clean install to force a Hal change?

Under Win2k and XP there should be absolutely no reason to assign IRQ's manually. The only one would be a badly written driver or badly designed hardware.

Please give us a bit more detail as to what exactly is going wrong. I looked through your link, but when they're all enabled, what occurs? Does the drive get a letter assigned to it? Does it show up in disk management? How old is this laptop, CPU type?

The laptop is 1 1/2 years.

CPU Type Mobile Intel Celeron 4A, 2000 MHz (20 x 100)

CPU Alias Northwood-256

Instruction Set x86, MMX, SSE, SSE2

I have an external enclosure (SE-Series?) with an Ali chip

Theres a sticker on the inside that states that the enclosure will only work with the drive set to Master (Obviously - 1 drive is master) Well....

I thought if i put a dual ide cable and spliced the power i could get two drives working together, It worked. But...

I could never get full usb2 speed - not even close - not even with only 1 drive connected.

My 1st cardbus had an ali chip in it - it showed both drives but slow transfer speeds (somethinglike 30 min for 1G)

My new cardbus has a NEC chip which is suppose to be better from what I've read. Itried it at the store and it seemed to recognize both drives pretty fast so I thought it was good.

After I brought it home along with a 160G WD drive I was able to partition the drive (via the usb enclosure) but shortly after i started transfering files it suddenly dropped off. I'm thinking shared memory but i'm not very knowlegable on the subject.

I tried reinstalling the drivers, tried all diferent combinations of compatable and non compatable (signed) drivers until I settled on my current config. that seems to need the onboard USB1 devices to be disabled.

Now with 2 drives connected I'm getting an i/o error after transfering files.

Transfer Speeds: 5 tests aprox 700MB file

1- single drive: G - C 0:48 sec.

2- 2 drives C - G 1:24

3- 2 dives G - I (transfering between 2 externals) 0:20 sec into transfer i/o error

4- single drive: G - C 1:50

5- " " : C - G 2:35

The best time (test #1) is under 14Mb/sec nowhere close to 480Mbps. I would be happy with 100Mb.

Thanks