Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ok_interested

Max users and timeout in windows xp home

Hello, i have setup a machine here with windows xp home, and we are using it as a server where 6 people will access files througout the day from the server.

now when i go into a command prompt and type "net server config" it tells me that maximum logged on users is 5.

from what i have read this is because its xp home, instead of xp pro which is 10 users. Anywell at the time i had no idea that this was going to be a problem when i chose home over pro. Since its too late to buy pro instead, we will have to make due with home.(so please no comments stating the obvious buy pro etc... i need a workaround for current system)

SO first question: IS there a way to increase Home edition max logged users, without buying and installing xp pro , or server2k3?

So assuming there is no way, ill have to live with the 5user limit, now my problem is the following. when i go to run and type "fsmgmt.msc" and open up the shared folders, and then go to the open sessions tab. it will sometimes show people logged in which have been idle for a long time ( say 30min or more )somtimes with files open other times without any files open.

My 2nd question is: how can i make it so that it automatically kicks idle users, to free up space for others?

i have tried going to comand prompt and doing "net config server /autodisconnect:10" assuming that this was the solution to make it so that if someone was idle for 10min it would kick them, however this dosent seem to work. So is there somthing else i should do?

I appreciate knowledgeable help that anyone can provide