Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bloody

(win)modem question

I recently decided it wouldn't be a bad idea to switch to linux, and as such downloaded something that someone recommended to me, suse 9.1 personal. Seeing as I have dialup and I knew I had a winmodem I expected trouble, and that's exactly what I got. I'm supposing I need some sort of driver to get this working, but I'm not really sure what to do about it. I have all the settings configured, and yes, it is connected properly(I'm posting this right?). I checked the connection log and it says -

[tt]SuSE Meta pppd (smpppd-ifcfg), Version 1.16 on linux.

Status is: disconnected

trying to connect to smpppd

connect to smpppd

Status is: connecting

pppd[0]: Plugin passwordfd.so loaded.

pppd[0]: --> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.54.0

pppd[0]: --> Initializing modem.

pppd[0]: --> Sending: ATM1

pppd[0]: --> Sending: ATQ0

pppd[0]: --> Re-Sending: ATM1

pppd[0]: --> Modem not responding.

pppd[0]: Connect script failed

pppd[0] died: Connect script failed (exit code 8)[/tt]

Modem: Broadcom Corporation BCM4212 v.90 56k modem (rev 02)

Anyone have any ideas?

Here's something that I found online. I'm not so sure if it'll be helpful for you since I just kind of glanced through it (or maybe you might have already tried):

Quote:
Most recent WinModem fixes are in:

> http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/FAQ.html

>

>

>

> Giacomo Comes wrote:

>

>> This is a help for people who has the Broadcom V.92 PCI Internal

>> Modem BCM4212.

>> It is found probably only in DELL computers.

>> The driver can be downloaded from the DELL website, but without

>> modification it works only for some old version of RedHat.

>> Here are the instructions to use it with recent and different

>> distributions

>> (SuSE 8.2 is mine).

>>

>> Download the driver:

>> http://support.ap.dell.com/ap/en/filelib/download/index.asp?fileid=R47114

>>

>>

>> the file is BCOM_WAN_V20_SOURCE_A.tar.gz

Read more

I just tried two links (included the one provided by LinuxCrusader above) and get a 404 error. it looks like Dell took it down. Probably because the driver only worked in older versions of Linux/RedHat. You would also need the kernel source installed to get it up. Personally, I think it would be easier to get an external hard modem and you should have no problems. These Winmodems are probably legacy and not worth the effort in linux to get it working.

LinuxCrusader: I indeed already tried it without much chance for success.

danleff: It's still there ... the red hat rpm for it anyway(it actually started downloading after around the 20th time I tried), which isn't of much use to me. So I would need the kernel source to get it up you say, and I'm guessing gcc also, from the looks of other info I've seen floating around.(neither of which were included sadly) I don't really have the money to go out and buy one(or I probably would have done it already), and even if I did - I wouldn't really be sure what to get. could you point me in the right direction with that?(Maybe I'll get the money later, I hope) I agree It's probably not worth the effort...but it's all I've got at the moment.

Could you post the link location for the driver? I still get a 404 message. I would like to see what kernel it was made for. If it is a RedHat rpm it may not work for Suse. but let's see what it is first.

As I thought, these drivers are built for the kernel 2.4 series. I believe Suse 9.1 comes with the 2.6 series kernel, unless you picked the option on install to use the 2.4 kernel. The file is for the older RedHat 7.3 distro. I doubt very much that this will work at all.

But, here is a link to a thread that Dapper Dan responded to, suggesting some external modems. You may want to have a look. If I see one of the best modems available at Computergeeks.com, I will let you know. They probably can be had for as little as $20.00 USD.

Suggested modems.

P.S. The Best Modem is not on the site, but the SupraExpress would work. Make sure it is the serial version...not the usb version at ComputerGeeks.com

Open Yast, then Network Devices, then Modems and

see if your modem is listed. If so, highilight it

then click 'Configure'. My Smartmodem works very

well with SUSE. I DLed and tried drivers for the

HPs and they worked OK. I don't remember where I

found them, though ,or which winmodems.

Suse 9.1 is the only linux distro I've been able to

get winmodems working with. Other than Smartmodem,the

ones I tried took some work but worked well once they

were set up.