Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
acampbell

Won't boot (sporadic) & Freezes

My Toshibe Satellite 1135-S155 has suddenly developed a problem. When I try to boot up, the power comes on, fan blows, the CD gets pegged, and then suddenly it cuts off, with the power light still on. I can turn it off and try again, and again, and again. I have tried to enter setup, and on the occassions that has worked, I set the defaults, save, & exit. This has always resulted in a successful boot.

On the occassions I have been able to boot, the system seems normal, no slowness, no weird things happening. But eventually it freezes.

It sounds like something just isn't 'catching' during the bootup procedure, but I've got no idea what it might be. I don't really know that setting the CMOS back to defaults is having any effect since I hadn't changed any setting anyway. I think that when I manage to get the F2 button to work, the bootup is well on it's way.

I also removed the battery and went thru the procedure to reset the CMOS. This obviously hasn't worked.

Could the RTC battery be causing this?

Thanks in advance.

Alice Campbell

I'm so hung up on it being a hardware problem I forgot to say I'm running Win XP Home SP1.

Another interesting thing... I was attempting to install a new DSL modem from this computer. I installed the softward on this machine, but I had hooked the darn thing up wrong and it was not communicating with the computer anyway, so I don't see how that could be causing the problem. I thinnk that's just a confusing red herring.

Alice

How far into the boot process are you getting before this starts happening?

did you do a temp check of your cpu?

did you check for bad ram?

It only takes a few seconds. I turn it on, the fan starts to blow, the CD is pegged (it's light comes on briefly as expected) the hard drive sometimes is pegged (it's light somes on) but not always, and then the whole thing stops. Just like I'd pulled out the plug. However the 'on' light is still lit.

It's not hot. This has happened after it has been sitting there all night.

I'm wondering if it could be the battery or the transformer. Or perhaps the power management. I've had it set to hibernate when the lid is closed, but on one of the brief times it came up I turned that feature off. It no longer supports hibernation, but it's still mis-behaving.

I know the off/on switch can make it go into hibernation or stand-by or otherwise affect it, so maybe the power switch is not working right.

I just ordered a service manuel for the thing which I hope will come soon.

Alice

I just caught an error code while it was trying to roboot.

PCI parity Error on Bus/Device/Function 00F0h

Any idea what this is?

Alice