Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Metabolic

Wine

Hi,

I am using Mandrakelinux 10.1 and am trying to install wine with the tar.gz using ./tools/wineinstall my system is an i686 and maybe wine isnt compatible with that could someone help me out?

Thanks

Which version of Wine are you trying to install? What is the full package name?

Did you take a look at the Wine install how-to?

I assume that you did not install the Wine version already that comes with Mandrake?

What specific errors are you having trying to do the install?

The issue with Wine, is that there are a few flavors. If you installed the rpm version during your install of Mandrake (it sounds like you did), you need to uninstall previous packages before trying a new one.

The version that comes with Mandrake is not the newest, of course, but is new enough to work well.

Let us know which one you installed, say wine-20041015, or whatever. Then we can help you with the install options, such as you mentioned.

But, before you do anything, go to a terminal window and just type in wine and see if it comes up with a version. This means that you did install the rpm package, during your Mandrake install process.

You can also go to the start-->manage computer-->Install/remove packages-->Remove packages and type in wine and you will see if it has a candidate to uninstall. Of course, don't uninstall it, if you want to try it out. just see if it is there, already installed.

Ok so i went to the add remove programs in linux, no wine there, so couls you help me out with install, didnt mean to press solve soz and someone asked for specific error, it was no compilable c path found i think

The easiest way to install it is to open a terminal. Konsole will do. First you must become root. You do that by typing:

su

And pressing enter.

It will ask for your root password. Type it in and press enter. Then type:

urpmi wine

And press enter, and follow the directions. It will ask for one of your install cd's where wine is located, and it will get installed.

If you need more help just "hollar." smile