Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mantis

3 Quick questions

Hi,

3 Quick questions:

1-Under fedora C3, how do I make the num lock on when starting

2-How do I set KDE has default and not X

3-Since Kernel update, Fedora equivalent of Lilo had decided to modify the boot startup (it used to be XP / Fedora and its now Fedora New Kernel / Fedora old Kernel and XP)

Thks smile

1. This is a problem with X. I have a hack for gnome but It looks like you wnat ot use or do use kde

2. Not sure what you mean by this. What desktop do you load when you log in, KDE or Gnome? X is not a desktop enviornment.

3. if you are using lilo become root...

1. cp -p lilo.conf lilo.conf.orig

2. open lilo.conf in you favorite text editor (vi) wink

3. change the boot order by switching the default=label

looks something like this.... there will be more junk but this is the important stuff.

Quote:

default=windowsXP

image="/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8.egorgry"

label="Linux-2.6.8"

root="/dev/hdb6"

read-only

other=/dev/hda1

label=windowsXP

4. run lilo -t to test the config if all is well then run lilo and reboot to see the new boot order in all it's glory. If it bitches try to fix what it complained about or post teh error here. Alternativly you can cp -p lilo.conf.orig lilo.conf to be revert to you old settings if that's why we copied the config file in the 1st step.

I have a similar question to Mantis,

Using Fedora core 3 how do I change the default session from "Gnome" to "KDE", using Grub.I use a standalone desktop and want to log in automaticaly to KDE with out having to stop at the session manager to select away from the default (Gnome) to KDE before logging in.

Any suggestions welcome, I am new to Fedora but have been using Mandrake 9.2 for a year plus

Use this command

switchdesk kde

or

switchdesk gnome

to switch the default desktop to KDE or GNOME.